SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barnowl401_gw

Do I have a blight resistant tomato?? (pics)

barnowl401
16 years ago

Are there some tomato plants that are resistant to blight? I seem to have one that is. ItÂs a variety called "bali" (from Indonesia) and has been flourishing in my garden. All my other ones have come down with what I am nearly positive is early blight, which has been a real problem in my PNW location this year  our June was so darn cold and wet (however, some of the pictures I have seen of late blight look are possibly more of a correct matchÂ) I am unable to purchase daconil or any other fungicide except the copper spray up here in Canada (theyÂve been taking some of the other ones off the shelf apparently). I applied the copper about a week ago which seemed to slow things down quite a bit, though the disease has started to spread again. Here are the blighted plants:

Now here are a few pics of the Bali plant which has infected plants on either side of it with no sign of problems whatsoeverÂ

Is this a rarity, or is it fairly common that some plants are naturally resistant? I am happy that the bali has not been affected as I look forward to the deeply ribbed, marbled, tasty 3" beauties it apparently will produceÂ.

I did find however another fungicide with folpet as its active ingredient I googled it and it apparently is used to treat blight, maybe more so for roses than tomatoes should I try using this on my plants??? IÂd love to save the other plants if possibleÂ

I will chalk this yearÂs experience up to learning as I have made a number of mistakes (the main one being to not mulch!?!?) Will do so next year for sureÂ

Thanks for any advice/replies, love this forum Jamie

Comments (13)