SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gcotterl

Weed barriers. Bad idea?

9 years ago

I've half-decided to thoroughly weeding a garden then install a weed barrier fabric topped with mulch in my garden to "almost" eliminate the never-ending weeds.

But today, I read an article saying that, installing a weed barrier fabric may not such a great idea. The article says:

"Weed seeds will blow into your beautiful mulch bed no matter what you do. Birds will also spread some weeds around for you".

"You may say, 'So what? I have fabric to keep them from growing'.

"No, you don't. All of that hard work (and expense) did for you is to guarantee even harder work in the not-so-distant future".

?So enjoy the first few weeks while you can. Those weeds will root right through that fabric".

"Why? Because fibrous roots will grow through a pin hole, and guess what you have then?... A complete mess, getting worse by the day. Have you ever tried to pull weeds that are rooted through a fabric as well as the earth beneath?"

"Take it from me, it is an utter nightmare! So not only will you have as many weeds as you had before, now removing them is harder than ever!"

"Solution... Deal with it or remove the mulch and tear up the weed barrier fabric!"

"Better solution.... DO NOT EVER USE WEED BARRIERS OF ANY KIND!...EVER!"

"Real Solution: Use pre-emergents at the appropriate time according to label. Then soften the ground & catch any weeds early!. If you follow these steps, your weeding will decrease every season, especially as your desirable ground covers take over, AND, your mulching bill will slowly disappear because your plants will now fill the voids to where there is no more room for mulch".

Since I hate the continual re-weeding chore, is a weed barrier fabric really a good idea or is there a better solution?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!