SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrobertsz66

What kind of weed barrier can I put on a 45 degree hill?

jrobertsz66
9 years ago

Hi,

What kind of weed barrier can I put on a 45 degree angle hill that slopes down into my back yard?

Basically, I have a 45 degree hill that is 98' L x 20' H, length being from one side of the back yard fence to the other side.

The hill is in full sun all day. I hired a landscaping contractor to put some plants on the hill, and he suggested that I plant blue rug junipers and sergeant junipers and to also put a cloth material weed barrier on the entire hill where there are no plants, and then cover it with pine straw.

The problem is that weeds keep growing in the areas where all the junipers are planted, and I have to walk the hill to pull them out. But now I have this condition:

45 degree hill + cloth material weed barrier + pine straw = very slippery footing.

I have slid down multiple times while trying to stand on the hill pulling the weeds, and each time that I slide down I end up taking all the pine straw down with me and leaving the bare cloth in place.

This has become a maintenance nightmare and it is very unsightly also, as I now have a mix of multiple bare spots showing the cloth material and in other areas I have balls of pine straw where it has slid off the hill and clumped up.

I am trying to figure out if I should replace that cloth material with something else. Here are the ideas that I have so far:

Solution 1:
Remove the pine straw and put mulch - but I am not convinced that this solution will fix the sliding problem down the hill.

Solution 2:
Remove the cloth material and just put mulch. This will make it less slippery, but I am going to get a lot of weeds.

Solution 3:
Replace the cloth material with something else - concrete maybe? (probably expensive).

Solution 4:
Terrace the whole area - will probably cost me a small fortune.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor