SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantcrazed101

How to prune indeterminate tomatoes for small space?

plantcrazed101
9 years ago

Hi Y'all,

I've been searching on this forum for quite a while, but couldn't really find a specific answer to my question. If this has been answered before, feel free to share the link to that forum, it would be greatly appreciated :)

I'll be growing the "Black Plum" tomato on my sunny balcony, along with tomatoes more traditionally suited for small space gardening, like MicroTom and Round Robin.

I really want to be able to try some of the exciting varieties and flavors available in the indeterminate types of tomatoes, but if I actually let an indeterminate tomato grow to it's full size, it would take over half my balcony!!! I do have time to prune daily, so that's not an issue, what I'm trying to figure out is what would be gained or lost by keeping it to a one-stem or two stem, and then
how I could keep it under seven feet. I have a fairly short growing season, so I'm not even sure that the height would be an issue before the season is overwith anyway, but since my balcony has nine feet of ceiling room, I might as well use as much vertical space as I can!

So do you think I should do one-stem, two-stem, etc and why?

Also, are there any advantages to topping off?

Thanks!

This post was edited by plantcrazed101 on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 8:55

Comments (8)