SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claire_from_michigan

Pool-Landscape Project ...to be underway soon

OK, as you can see from these picture, we have some work cut out for us. I've been pulling weeds from this area for several years. We put river rock all around the pool and as you can see, this is a large area for rock. The weeds just come through it even when we spray with weed killer. Anyway, hubby thinks we should put grass there and just put a small (12"wide) edge around the pool with rocks for minimal weed maintenance. Is there another way? That just seems like SO MUCH WORK... moving all those rocks... although we have room to put them under our deck.

1) If we decide to move the rocks and put the grass down, how should we prepare the soil first?

2) Is there another way to soak this area with weed killer so the weeds don't grow? and avoid the task of putting down grass. Oh, and I did spray with some Ortho Seasonal weed killer (suppose to be good for the summer I think). I do have some Ortho Ground Cover that is suppose to be good for one year, but don't want to put that down if we're going to end up putting grass there. I just can't see my hubby EVER getting it done! Thought maybe there is a better solution.

This is the side by the neighbor's yard by the fence where you see the blue ladder (it's growing on top of it from the other side of the fence). There is a clematis bush at the end on the other side of the fence. I just pulled a bunch of weeds this morning. This area looked like it does in the next picture, only taller weeds.

This is the end of the pool by the shed.

This picture shows the shed and the arbor. Between the arbor and shed is a fence where I have another rose bush. The arbor has roses and clematis growing on it. So I figure I'd have to box them off with edging to [help] keep any run-off of weed killer going into them. We are also in the process of putting down a small patio and path to the back yard. That big tree-like bush at the end of the patio is a lilac bush.

We thought when we put the rocks down some years ago, by laying down fabric first, then the river rock, that we wouldn't have weeds growing there. WRONG! They're absolutely terrible! And, we get run-offs from the next-door neighbor's rose of sharon bushes! Tired of pulling them too!

Any suggestions?

Comments (3)