SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anthony_toronto

Some zone 5 garden pics from today July 19

anthony_toronto
14 years ago

Some pics. Garden looks ok but fruit really behind. Cold weather at end of may/beginning of june delayed planting until end of first week of june or later for some plants. Cool days and cold nights for following week or more saw little or no growth but several flowers. Some nicer weather for a few days saw even more flowers, but then 6 days of very hot humid weather resulted in a lot of blossom drop. After that, plants exploded in flowers (near end of june), and steady weather continued after then until now, with a fair bit of sun and 75 degree days (but still in the low 50's at night). Can finally see results of pollenization, with lots more flowers on most plants. Only one small tomato has blushed so far, the only big toms of the large varieties are the ones that pollenized very soon after planting (after which there was a lull in pollenization except for some small varieties). Some pics:

The below is the garden taken from back corner of yard...toms in the right side garden get less sun, and soil not as deep so plants/production tend to be smaller.

The more productive side of the garden

Plants are creating a solid wall pretty early this year

Side view of the above row

Supposed to be Cherokee Purple, but some of the fruits look a little fluted (maybe 40 fruits on this plant so far)

Plant on left is Cherokee Purple (about 6'6"), to the right of it also along the wall is Black Krim with some stems topping 8 feet

F2 of some seeds that were supposedly saved from Purple Haze...last year this was PL with pink golf-ball sized fruits, this year PL with golf-ball sized fruits, lets see if they have same colour and excellent flavour as last year (production seems good so far)

Close-up of the above plant, lots of fruit and lots of flowers

Brandy Sudduth doing its best to pollenize

Unknown red beefsteak that came from saved seed from unknown pink round tomato that came from packet of black krim seeds 4 or 5 years ago. Last year the beef tasted so good that I saved it, this year I expect it will blush first (as these are by far the most progressed of my large varieties so far this season)

Finally, a passion flower from neighbour's garden (plant kept indoors in winter, brought outside during summer)

In other years I believe we had already eaten a lot of tomatoes by this time of the summer...everything seems 2 or 3 weeks behind. At the very least I hope we can continue with sunny days with low to moderate humidity. Just wish the nights were not so cool.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio