SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerkymom_gw

Weed that saved my border from beetles!

jerkymom
18 years ago

This plant is one of those that show up in your border and you wait to pull it in case it's something good the birds brought you. ;-) It grew to 5' tall and 4' wide in front of my shorter perennials and began to bloom, but it was attractive (before the beetles got it) and the blooms were nice so I decided to let it be for this year even if it was a weed. One morning a couple of weeks ago I was amazed to see dozens of Japanese beetles clustered on the blooms and upper leaves, eating the poor thing alive but completely ignoring the rest of my border! Needless to say I didn't yank it and for the next few weeks the beetles stayed put and nothing else got munched, even though the beetles were very bad here this summer.

The flowers are open early in the morning, close as soon as it gets hot, then reopen in the the evening.. I can't detect any fragrance but my nose isn't all that good and I didn't want to get it that close to all those beetles...LOL Can anyone tell me what it is and if I can save seeds from it? Unless it's something noxious or invasive I thought I'd try planting it away from my established beds as a living beetle trap next year. I never use pesticides because of my praying mantis, ladybug, hummer, butterfly and hummingbird moth visitors, as well as my resident toads. (Can toads get sick from eating poisoned insects???)

Thanks for looking and I'd sure appreciate any IDs!

Kim

{{gwi:1348858}}

{{gwi:1348860}}

{{gwi:1348862}}

{{gwi:1348863}}

Comments (6)