SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dstucki85

My heirloom pics/info so far

16 years ago

Below are some pics of my tomato garden...planted around May 1 here in southern Indiana. Seem to be doing fine except our area is very blight-prone...so it seems like I'm constantly trimming off bottom leaves of some varieties even with black plastic and mulch. Of the 20 varieties, Earl's Faux, Eva Purple Ball, and Mountaineer Mystery have been the worst for blight. The lower third of these plants have already been trimmed almost completely off. Brandywine Red has shown moderate bacterial spec.

On the other hand, Cherokee Purp, Green Giant, Black Cherry, Noire des Cosebeuf, Black/Red Boar, Black from Tula, and Large Pink Bulgarian have been resilient with absolutely no signs of foliage problems. Marianna's Peace is an honorable mention, as I've only had to trim two or three leaves off of two plants due to blight. All others have shown a little (but very manageable) signs of foliage issues.

Here's some pics...as you can see I use black plastic and a version of "Earl's hole method" although a little different soil mixture. I work full time and the garden is at Dad's (no room at my place), so the plastic controls weeds due to a lack of time for tilling/weeding. If the plants look a little white in spots, it's the Daconil!

Garden

Large Pink Bulgarian - PL (my best looking plant!)

Brandywine Red (Landis Valley) - largest green tom in the garden despite leaf spec

Noire des Cosebeuf (note the many, many blossoms...especially in the upper-third of the plant...hope these taste good

Noire des Cosebeuf...again with greenies

Black/Red Boar - 1st time growing, and didn't realize it seems determinate...

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville