SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantslayer

isi, 'dwarf', 'bush', 'tree-type', sd and 'compact indeterminate'

plantslayer
14 years ago

OK, I started a thread earlier asking about tasty, somewhat early determinate varieties, but I realized after looking around a bit on the web that what I am probably interested in are ISI (indeterminate short internode) tomato varieties, aka dwarf, bush, tree-type etc. Having read a little about this, I have a few questions...

1) Is it correct that the terms "bush" "dwarf" and "tree-type" when used properly refer to ISI (indeterminate short internode), characterized by a very stout main stems, indeterminate but with VERY slow vertical growth (usually getting no taller than 3 1/2 feet or so), short branches, rugose leaves, etc.? I have seen listings for some tomato varieties w/ "dwarf" in the name that seem to actually be determinate, not ISI.

2) Do the phrases "semi-determinate" and "compact indeterminate" which can be found in a lot of catalogs as well as the Tatiana's TomatoBASE, have a set meaning? How would they differ from ISI/dwarf types?

3) If the types mentioned in #2 are different from ISI, how would you describe the growth? Shorter plants? Smaller leaves, less horizontal growth, etc.?

Sorry for making yet another thread, I hope all the questions are not too annoying.

Thanks for the advice...

Comments (15)