SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blossomaddict

Alien Blobs in Garden - Need Help ID'ing

blossomaddict
18 years ago

Last year I purchased a plant from a local nursery and during transplanting I noticed a strange looking "something" growing on top of the soil in the container. I removed it and threw it in the trash, but noticed a few in the garden as the season progressed. I left them alone hoping that they would be killed over the winter, but this spring I have more of them growing on top of the soil in my garden. I'm not able to post pictures, so I'll give the most complete description I can! They are entirely green in color and very small (each leaf is 1/4 at most). They tend to grow in small clumps of several leaves. Their most distinguishing feature is a tiny green cup at the base of each leaf. They never seem to flower or grow upwards, but spread across the ground. I removed one from the garden and washed it at the sink and found tiny roots. After numerous searches, I still can't figure out whether this is a fungus, mold, algae or something else. The effect is startling when you bend down to pluck out a weed and see these green blobs that almost look like they have eyes staring back at you! If anyone can help identify this and tell me how to get rid of it before it gets worse, I would be very grateful!

Comments (2)