SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitti_gw

Crystalline Iceplant - Growing?

whitti
18 years ago

Hey,

A few weeks ago, I went down to the San Elijo State Reserve (in Solana Beach, CA). While there, I came across quite an awesome plant: the crystalline iceplant, Mesembryanthemum (or Gasoul) crystallinum. Its an invasive weed here in CA. Perhaps if you've never seen one you could google it. It has water vesicles all over the plant. The fruits are edible: they're sort of like olives to me. I hear that in France they also use the leaves and stems in salads.

I found it growing on a sand cliff near a coastal lagoon. The plant evidently releases salt into the soil. Personally, I own an inland San Diego county home. The ground cover is red apple, with some other succulents scattered throughout the yard.

Would it be possible to, assuming I took seeds from the plants at the reserve, plant the crystalline iceplant in my own home? Will the fact that it releases salt into the soil reduce my own soil quality? Does it require any kind of salty soil to grow? The iceplant's native habitat seemed just hardened sand.

I'm rather fascinated by this invasive South African weed.

Thanks,

Tom.

Comment (1)