SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
selkie_gw

Last year's baby coons are back! Yay Hooray!!!

selkie
16 years ago

Last year, Mama Raccoon kept her four babies in the maple tree by my patio. They all got used to the sound of my voice and didn't mind my observing them (we kept a healthy distance). All summer we watched the babies get bigger, then very rarely saw them when the weather turned cold.

I think we lost one of them; it had a bit of a limp and was always lagging behind the others on their nightly forages.

I became quite attached to those babies! The whole family knew the sound of my voice. The mother and one (bigger) baby stayed in our garage a few times when it was really cold but I hadn't seen the other two since last year.

Well! Last night I couldn't sleep so I sat out back for hours listening to the night sounds. Who should arrive but two yearlings! I am convinced they are the babies from last year. They walked along the fence back and forth a few times, snuffling and exploring. One climbed down into our yard by the maple and walked across the lawn toward where I was sitting. When he realized I was there he backed off a bit but continued exploring. Yay!

The maple is finally starting to leaf out so I'm sure they'll reclaim their tree pretty soon. We should also see alot more of them when the fruits come out. I wonder if we'll have another litter this year?

I already posted a pic of the baby in my garage under the

"What wildlife is enjoying your garden?" thread. I'm sure we'll have some new shots this year now!

Here's a shot of their maple tree and my patio where I like to sit to watch them...

{{gwi:1346671}}

I'm so happy!!!! Now, if I can only figure out how to take pictures at night!

Comments (14)