SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ju1234_gw

Alkaline soil resultin in Iron deficiency, solution?

ju1234
9 years ago

I am in Dallas, TX. The soil is very clay and alkaline. Even though I had added manure last and this year, it appears that it is still not enough.

I have peas and beans which are doing reasonable. Every thing else is stunted and even after a month of being in ground, not growing in size.

Tomatoes: The larger transplants, within a week of putting in ground, the older leaves started turning white starting at the tips. My diagnosis was Iron deficiency secondary to alkaline soil. So I watered it with very dilute vinegar. Very quickly, the color improved.

Cucurbits, peppers: Older leaves turning yellow with green veins. Same diagnosis and treatment. Again the color improved quickly.

So, over the last 5 weeks, I have given 2 waterings with vinegar. Also gave one feeding of Ammonium sulfate. I read that ammonium sulfate will acidify the alkaline soil.

IS THERE MORE PERMANENT SOLUTION?

I read that sulfur is supposed to be mixed in the soil. But it is too late now. The plants are already in the ground. I don't know top dressing with sulfur will do any good.

Overall, except for peas and beans, which are starting to flower, nothing else is growing well. After being in the ground for more than a month, most other things have hardly grown at all. Is that because of the unseasonably cold weather we had?

Comments (8)