SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sallydraper

Should I burn everything and start over?

sallydraper
13 years ago

I recently moved into a house with about 1200 sf of backyard. That is, extremely neglected back yard. When I looked at the house there were weeds EVERYWHERE. The seller had them cut back and the guys did a great job, but now that it's spring they are reappearing with a vengeance. What I have are: japanese honeysuckle, english ivy, creeping charlie, morning glory, poinson ivy, dandelions, and other unidentifiable things. The vine roots snake through the top layer of soil and have created a thick mat of nastiness on the top. Only in the very center is a small patch of grass trying to survive. I've suppressed all by spraying Roundup and cutting back in the hopes that I would be able to seed this season but I am quickly losing hope. My yard gets plenty of sun with a tree-shaded area in the back. I would like to have a clover and thyme ground cover and don't mind the english ivy in back under the trees but it obvs wants to take over everything including my shed.

My question is: can I rototill and apply lime and peat moss (I live in Philly acidic clay soil) and seed clover this season, or do I have to chem burn the whole lot and rototill next year? I've already bought Ortho GroundClear but I'm hesitant to just start laying it down. But won't a rototiller cut up all the vine roots into little pieces and create more of a root problem? I've already pulled most of the jap. honeysuckle by hand but don't have the back to do it all...

I would like to add that the neglected property on the other side of emy fence isn't helping. The landlord is giving me cart blanche, should I spray the bejeezus out of it? There are ailanthus on that side as well. Sigh.

Image link:

Comment (1)