SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningwithlcgrace

Planting advise for Black Cherry & Tommy Toes

15 years ago

I've got some very healthy seedlings going this year. The seeds were rec'd from a swap and honestly, I didn't do any research on them until now! lol

I thought I would be able to plant them in a 1 or 5 gal bucket. The veggie forum suggested that I ask a few questions over here.

They said that theirs grow quite large. I ran out of room in my garden bed and am considering doing some hard work this weekend and create a new bed to plant them in.

My soil is compacted and hard. I've got more rocks than soil. My other beds are lasagna style and in an area that I've previously worked the soil. The new area will require my husband and a pick ax to do a "virgin dig".

How deep should I plan to break up the soil? I will add lasagna layers on top of the ground level but I don't have nearly enough to provide the needed thickness for planting.

I'll remove the rocks and dirt and fill the area surrounding the plant with a mix of soil (bought from the store) & compost.

The top of the bed will be completely "lasagna" topped and mulched.

How large to do these varieties get? Do I stake them, cage them or let them run free? Can I grow them side by side or should I keep a distance between the 2 kinds?

Thanks so much!! I'm hoping for a few tips before tomorrows digging! LC Grace

Comments (16)