SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

How far apart do I plant Burpee Big Boy & other ?'s

aliska12000
16 years ago

I bought the seeds on ebay so they didn't come with instructions. I've got about 21 beautiful plants, 18 in high, just starting to blossom and thought I was going to have to give them all away on freecycle.

Now I have somebody coming in the morning to rototill a strip for me 4' wide by 40' long (eventually going to use it for roses and perennials).

Not all of the area gets full sun all day, but it gets the most unless I put them in the front yard on the boulevard which is not an option. That's how it is.

The further down the shadier it gets in the afternoon, sun all morning on all and sun later in the day for one part, about 20'.

An irrigation system is not feasible for this year.

I know I am going to have to stake them. I have 10 fence posts and need something strong and cheap for more stakes, my friend said something about wood stakes from HD or I could get 5' sections cut of rebar at the hardware store, don't want to buy cages, has to be stakes this year.

1. Can I make two rows down the sunniest part, remember we're working with 4' wide? One of their bush Big Boy they say on the Burpee site is more compact, but I don't know which one I have, the regular one or the more compact one. For the latter they say you can use regular tomato cages.

2. That is a lot to mulch and water in addition to everthing else I have to water and tend to. I've been kicking around cardboard, black plastic or just mulching around the plants and let the rest go for now. It is too expensive to mulch the whole long strip; in time I may have to.

3. Will I have to water them every day when it doesn't rain or can I water them about every 3 days or so? The hottest days are coming, and there will be days in the upper 90's, maybe top 100 a few days.

I have grown tomatoes before, many years ago now, but not so many plants and on the east side of the house back when it got more sun. I don't remember having to water them that often or fuss too much with them, but east near the house is different from being out in the open.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting