SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
behlgarden

Heirloom Tomatoes, Watering and Irrigation using Drip

behlgarden
12 years ago

Hello All,

I recently purchased a home that has a 0.3 acre flat lot with lot of room for a nice garden. When we were in escrow (took 3-months in Escrow due to short sale) I planted some seeds for heirloom tomatoes (brandywine, beefsteak, pomodoro italian, black zebra, cherry, chocolate stripe, cheorikee chocolate, and several others). I was able to get at least 3-4 plants of each kind.

My current area has raised planters that are 24" wide and 24" above the ground so it provides good drainage. I tilled the soil, added organic manure and organic garden soil and then planter my tomatoes. Due to size of yard I have to irrigate a lot for lawn etc. To reduce costs for water, I went with drip irrigation. I replaced the sprinkler system completely with drips. Installed 1/2" tube in entire run, then installed 5gph flag drippers, hooked up 1/4" tube to the flag drippers and the tube goes to the stem below the soil directly feeding water to the root system. I have a control valve that can control water pressure. All system is hooked up to an auto timer.

Now the fun part,

1. how much do I water and for how long. I read several posts with confusing information on how many gallons of water does heirloom tomatoes take and how frequently?

Currently, I have the timer set for once a day at 5 AM for 3-minutes, that give me 0.25 gal/day OR 1.75 gal/week on daily basis. I can adjust the timer and skip days here, which is recommended by a lot of people to let the soil get a bit dry before watering.

Does anyone has any insights? Anyone has setup the garden this way? I really like the fact that not a drop goes outside the plater or on top of soil for evapouration, 100% percolates into root system.

Any help, comments, suggestions?

Comments (10)