SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
balloonflower

Aphid damage or...

balloonflower
9 years ago

My veggie plot is part of an organic urban farm community garden. The tomatoes (13 plants) went in early May with water walls, and had been growing beautifully until this week. About 2-3 weeks ago, we did have a major infestation of blood red aphids, which was dealt with using water, squishing, and now the ladybugs that have caught up. Mine got hit hardest, because there was very little else of size growing on the farm or in other community garden plots at the time. They are currently 3-4 feet tall, with thick stems and have been bushing nicely, though we are suckering too.

Now, the plants are showing the black spotted leaves, stems, and some leaf curl. Blight is not common here, but it's been such a cool wet spring that it is possible. I have been very careful to not overwater, with the rainstorms/hail that have been common. However, the pics I find online for blight or fungal diseases have yellowing to the spots, and mine are not showing that. It's just the dark spots, and the plants are still growing steadily, with no signs of trouble on new growth. I have checked with the farm manager, and he can't identify for me.

I am cutting the worst of the damage off, but haven't done anything other yet since I cannot identify.

Comments (3)