SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clueless_in_alabama

Are weeds really bad or just unsightly?

We've got a steep hill behind our house that doesn't even belong to us but the people who own it won't take care of it. We've spent probably $4-5K planting it over the past 3 years and I think in a few years it's going to be completely covered with plants (eleagnus, cotoneaster, NRS hollies, wax myrtles).

It's very muddy and steep and my husband and I both have problems with ankles, knees, etc. and just don't want to keep climbing it to weed it. I was just out there pulling up what I call the "nasty weeds"--the prickly ones--but leaving the ones that look innocent. ;-)

I know gardeners hate weeds, but if I just let them go, what's the worst thing that could happen? I mean, it might look overrun over the summer, but won't they die in the winter and that's the end of that--till next year?

Here's a photo from last May the day after we had the NRS hollies planted and the entire hill pinestrawed. The pinestraw is all a mess now and weeds poking up, but the eleagnus have gotten quite big and I'm not going up there to the top anymore.

{{gwi:1342328}}

You might find the design pretty odd, but it's dry at the top and wet at the bottom. We put eleagnus at the top--one landscaper throwing in some cotoneaster in the center--and then wax myrtle at the bottom where it's wet. Someone with the extension service recommended the NRS hollies to make a wall eventually so we won't even see the top anymore and won't have to worry about weeding/pinestrawing any further up than the NRS. I'm planting cardinal flower and lilies/irises to fill in the wet bottom around the wax myrtles.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction