SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dahlias_bloom

Weed Removal Method

dahlias_bloom
10 years ago

This is my first post, and I am new to gardening. Sorry if this is a little long.
Last year we decided to turn the area between our house and sidewalk into a garden bed since it was too much of a hassle to mow (really can only weed-eat because the mower cannot fit into the areas around the bushes). We laid newspaper down (not a good thickness since it was only about 5-8 sheets thick) and placed about two inches of mulch on top. A few months later we added hydrangeas and dahlias. The weeds were still staying at bay for the most part so we added some bulbs during the fall. The little bit of weeds we had we used Round-Up.
That seemed to do the job until recently. We have weeds growing everywhere along with grass. I have tried several methods of weeding, but I'm not seeing long term results. I have recently started using a hand cultivator tool to remove the top few inches of dirt and pulling the weed's roots up by hand. I have removed nearly two foot long roots that I would not have been able to do before.
I have read that disturbing the dirt like this can make the weed's seed spread, but just pulling the weed from the top is only breaking the roots in that spot. Am I just making it harder on myself later on or will this have a longer weed free garden bed? In a nearly two square foot area, I have removed 6+ gallons packed of roots. I still have a lot of ground to cover, but want to make sure I am not making things difficult for myself in a few months. I know there is some crabgrass, clover, vines, grass, and several unknown varieties. Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County