SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
turnerm3_gw

Will my container tomato plants survive?

turnerm3
11 years ago

Good Evening,

My grandfather passed away last week and I was out of town for 4 days. Due to this, my tomatoes (two celebrity plants in a large container with a cage) missed 3 days of watering. They had previously been thriving on 2 gallons of water daily. It was around 85 degrees each day with full sun. My plants have 20-25 green tomatoes on the vines. When I returned home, the vines had drooped below the cage and were relatively limp. A few of the 1-2" tomatoes had slightly shriveled skin, but the plant itself was still green. The larger 2-3" tomatoes currently look fine. The dirt was completely dry and had pulled away from the container. When I poured 1/2 gallon of water on the soil, it dripped through the vent holes within 30 seconds. If anyone else has had a similar experience, did your plant recover? If so, did you notice problems with the tomatoes later or at harvest? Also, this is my first attempt at growing tomatoes and I would appreciate any advice on nursing my plants back to life. I'm afraid I am overwatering at this point to revive them.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Comments (7)