SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reaver_gw

Newbie: My first tomato; good and bad

reaver
16 years ago

Lots of bad.

Different angles of my first nearly ripe tomato (Yay!)

Obviously there are things wrong with it, probably due to alot of things, not the least of which was the 2 months of rain with no sunshine to speak of. Altho we got a ton of rain, it didn't seem to soak into the planters too well and there are a lot of shallow roots.

I didn't get them potted outside until after Easter (we got *snow* on Easter)

used MG style potting mix with slow release fertilizers (supposed to last 3 months)

As you can see the leaves are pretty sparse and some are yellow or brown and dead. I am concerned, particularly since more flower stalks are appearing and we are entering our mid 90's daytime temps already.

My other tom is a little taller but still kinda sparse with the leaves. Last month I was getting alot of blossoms dropping off, most likely due to the rains and high humidity inhibiting pollenation or overwatering. I have poked holes in the soil using my finger, leaving the holes open to allow water to get deeper into the pot. My finger tests are showing that I may be watering daily.

Things I think I did wrong:

1) didn't fertilize at transplant time

2) didn't plant deep enough (didn't know you could bury the stem to increase roots)

3) didn't plant in the ground

Any other obvious conclusions to be drawn on where I went wrong and how to avoid in the future?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting