SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbya_gw

update: sept. hortiholics anon. rr.

Debra Andruska
17 years ago

I mailed my Sept. package out, USPS #0306 0320 0005 0616 7964.

Deb

Comments (61)

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Kristen,
    I think it might be hard for you to keep track of new players every month but that's up to you!! Another thing you could do is just open it up one more time to get a few more good players.

• amybabyboy3
    17 years ago

Kristen,
    Do we still send to the same partner for September or are you still trying to work things out with matching people up? Sorry I'm just a little confused because I thought we were all set for this month. Amy

• Related Discussions

update: july hortiholics anon rr

Q

Comments (51)
    Erica, sorry to hear about your hubby. I hope he is doing o.k. I also wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday! Hoping that tomorrow will bring you everything you wished for and be one of the best Birthdays you ever had! I will have a drink or two or three...LOL..in your honor tomorrow while sitting on that %*&%& plane for eight and a half hours. Anyway, here is to you girl! Cheers!!!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY ERICA!!!!!
    ...See More

UPDATE: Cassie's August Check-In for 2005 Swap

Q

Comments (69)
    Rainbow-- Thanks for the compliment. I'm really proud of how these beds turned out, especially in light of the fact that they were A LOT of work. The ground was so hard and compacted when I started that I had to use a grub hoe to break it up...my tiller wasn't doing much more than skipping around on top of the ground--and that was AFTER I'd been watering the beds daily for about 2 weeks prior to starting on them. The towers at the end are rose trellises. I have "Buff Beauty" climbing roses planted at the bottom of them, although you can't see them real well in the pics...the plan is for the roses to grow up and cover the towers. Well, that's the plan, anyway *grin*... Best, Cheryl
    ...See More

UPDATE: Hortiholics Anon. August gifts received :) :) :)

Q

Comments (64)
    Hey everyone! Long time and no post....sorry too busy starting nursing school. It sounds like everyone is getting great packages. Well I thought I would log on and drop a hint for my partner. I have a small hosta bed on my north side of my house and it is in total shade. They grow like crazy and I noticed it looks a little blah. I think it might be because I only have one type of hosta. Green with white edges. Sooooo....If my person would like to send me some different ones in blue-green and yellowish leaves or anything else that would grow in total shade that would be great! My campus has wi-fi so hopefully when I am really bored in class I can log on here and see what is happening. So everyone getting excited for bulb planting season? I know I am last year I planted 1000+ bulbs. I wonder how many I will get in the ground this year? With school and work I hope to add a few more. I know I am going to add more snow crocus to my lawn. I love seeing them pop through the grass in the spring. Little packets of white yellow and purple. They are the usually the first blooms I get this far north. Well I suppose I should get back to my homework!
    ...See More

November - Hortiholics Anon 'Bountiful Harvest'

Q

Comments (122)
    Hi Girls -- I echo Michelle's sentiment about the USPS -- they STINK at this time of year. To be fair, the poor people are totally inundated, but that does not excuse sloppy, indifferent work. My cousin is a postmaster, and has told me stories that would curdle milk. The big problem is that the USPS hires temporary employees at Christmas and many of these people don't give a rat's patootie about whether they do a good job or not. My cuz told me a story about these two temps who were literally HURLING boxes through the air. Boxes that were no doubt marked fragile. And the sickening part is that the onus is put on the sender to pack the item well. Well, in my opinion, it doesn't matter how well you pack a box, it's not going to stand up to gorillas hurling it around. These uncaring, selfish people also are not careful about sorting packages correctly, which is why so many boxes (like poor Julie's) go missing. It is a disgrace. But -- if you will all forgive me if I sound preachy (I do not mean to be) -- you can't control what happens to you but you can control how you react to it. So lets all embark on our December partner swap with warm thoughts of friendship. If a box gets lost or delayed we will treat it as a flaw in the postal system, or a pause due to illness or personal circumstances, we will know in our hearts that things will be made right. We are so fortunate to have each other! If you think about it -- we are tremendously blessed. We are a group of people who (to the best of my knowledge) have not met each other, but are sharing joy and generosity and TRUST each month in our swap. My job takes me to many countries, and I have have personally experienced the sadness of poverty and the ugliness of hatred, which for most part does not exist here in the U.S. The trust and openness that we Hortiholics bring to each other is nothing short of miraculous. So here's to December! Speaking of which, I mistakenly posted my thanks to Erica on the December thread. After the fact, I realized that Erica was my November pal. Thank you so very very much, Erica, for the beautiful hand-crafted Soy Candles, potpourri and fun spinner you put into my box. It is evident you put a lot of love into everything. Hugs to you, and to all.
    ...See More
  • kayemell
    17 years ago

Amy and All --

At this point we DEFINITELY send to the same partner for the month of Septmber.

However, if there is anyone (besides sguanzon ???) who has not received a box for Aug or has repeatedly been stiffed, let me know asap and we'll fix it.

• bogartbaby
    17 years ago

Deb, you are welcome sweetie! I just hope they get there o.k. I was in such a hurry when I packed the boxes, if they are DOA, just let me know and I can send you replacements.
    Good to see this Robin full of life again!

• simplylisa
    17 years ago

Hi guys, I am still here and would really like to keep my sending to partner, even though I am a little behind. Will be sending August box today and then Septembers box on the 22nd. I got behind because of health issues but I just love my pal to death and have some plans for what I am sending her in the next few months. I would love a new receiving pal though, I too have not received a box except for June and from reading the above posts it looks like my partner is still having troubles. Kayemell do you need us to send you an e-mail with who our partners were or did Tina give you this info? I do know who my secret pal was if you need that info. Please let us know if you need any info to help make this swap run smoothly. Thanks so much for stepping in I would hate to end this swap I think everyone in it is just great. Love you all.

Hugs,
    Lisa & Kayla

PS I really am going to try to post more often. OH By the way does anyone here do anything special for Halloween or have a favorite Halloween recipe they would like to share. My 4 year old daughter and I are planning our first Halloween party and would love some hints on decorations, games and recipes. Cya later.

Lisa

• bogartbaby
    17 years ago

Hi Lisa, nice to see you posting again. I bet little Kayla is all excited about her halloween party. I have a easy recipe for the two of you!

Spookie Spider Cookies
    Black string licorice
    20 Orange(or white) filled oreo cookies
    1 teaspoon choc. frosting
    40 mini M&M's

For each cookie, cut eight 1 and 1/2 inch pieces of licorice for legs. Insert 4 pieces into filling on each side of each cookie. With frosting, attach 2 mini M&M's to top of each cookie for eyes.
    That's it, it's easy and fun to make.
    If you are serving punch, you could also fill a latex glove with some extra punch and freeze it, for the floating hand effect in the punch bowl, the little ones really get a kick out of that. That's all I can think of right now that would be appropriate for little kids. I have two teenage boys that are into the realistic looking stuff, like brain molds, bleeding hearts, jello/cream cheese eye balls.......you get the idea. Ooooh, I love halloween, wish I could be there to help you out. Let us know how it went. Have fun preparing for it!
    Deanie

• amybabyboy3
    17 years ago

Deanie,
    That sounds so cute I am also going to make them for my two boys 4 and 6 to take to school. All the kids will be so excited. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Amy

• sguanzon
    17 years ago

I'd like to stay and keep my partner. Her box is going out tomorrow.

• bogartbaby
    17 years ago

Amy, you are welcome. You will be the "Mom of the day" when you bring those to school. Have fun!
    Deanie

• kayemell
    17 years ago

Okay Ladies -- I think we're are good to go. Tina sent me all the Hortiholics info.

For the time being, let's keep all our same partners.

Two big favors:

1. Just so we're all in the loop, please please please post here if you are going to be late or delayed with your box. I realize that if you were trying to maintain the "secret swap" status, this may blow it, but if something comes up I think it's better to reveal the surprise than have your partner think she has been stiffed. (Stood up? Is there a better term? LOL)

2. When you receive your box, please post as well.

So let's play!

P.S. -- If you are not sure who your partner is, please e-mail me. kayemell@comcast.net

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

I'm so happy, I just received another amazing box from my pal. My daugther had so much fun going thru it with me. There were 2 homemade card-making kits for the girls which are too cute! I love the plants: agastache golden jubilee, chameloen plant, and virginia spriderwort. It's not your "old-age" pal, I did have chameleon plant on my wants list. I think I removed it because I got one and was under the impression it would spread like wildfire so I wouldn't need much more. However, it's in horrible clay soil and it isn't spreading much at all. I'm very greatful to receive another. I also had many spiderworts that, for some starnge reason, turned yellow and mushy and disappeared this year. I'm so happy I'll be able to replace one.
    Also there was a neat little cookbook that will stand-up on my counter, 3 sunflower decorations with hooks for hanging stuff - perfect for the kid's fall jackets! And a hanging birdbath which the kids have confiscated for their fairy garden

Thank you!!!!

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Deanie,
    One of the packages arrived Friday! Thank you so much!
    I loved everything! Deanie sent the cutest Bee wind chime, a butterfly magnetic note pad, butterfly spiral, bath set- lotion, crystals, fizzies, body wash. Plus, Tapered candles, crystal candleholders (set), houseplant fertilizer tabs, picture frame (reminds me of stone, and will match my decor in the frontroom perfectly, we have Italian leather couches, and I do have some stone accents), bag of mixed daffodil bulbs, bag of mixed crocus bulbs! I'm thrilled with everything!

Thank you sooo much!
    Deb

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Deanie,
    Box 2 arrived today (Monday). Everything looked great!
    I love the Swiss cheese plant, I purchased a brand new extra large pot for it! It's such a hearty, large plant! I also adore the variegated Pandora vine! I've always wanted one! I have to do a google search and see if it likes full sun or shade. Also, if it's an annual or perennial. Thanks so much! It was so sweet of you to send me both makeup boxes! They were for June and July. In August Tina rearranged things and I have a new Pal.

Hugs for two great boxes!

Deb

• efrosty1
    17 years ago

finally, i can post.. what a pain..i haven't been able to get on forever. my pals box has not arrived yet, so i am tracking it down now. i will repack a box and resend. so sorry pal. i hate it when the post office does not deliver.i will reship.. poor plants are probably dead by now anyways.erica

• kayemell
    17 years ago

Thank you pal, for my wonderful September box! It arrived a few days ago -- but I was out of town, so please forgive the delay in posting.

I must share what my pal sent: the cutest, most darling flower pot salt & pepper shakers; lovely toile stationery in a cute box; a wonderful cream-colored shawl; copper plant tags; a really lovely coffee table book "Monastic Gardens"; apple-cinnamon scented drawer liners (perfect for Fall); a darling picture frame; and some daffodil bulbs.

Thank you, my sweet pal! You are too thoughtful. Every month, I feel the love that you send in your boxes!

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Giving this a little bump! My package for my new Pal will be going out on Monday or Tuesday. I'll post the delivery confirmation when it does. I'm working on the box now, I just have to add/dig a few outdoor plants at the last minute.

Deb

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

I sent my box out this morning. I'm going to kill the surprise and give away that my pal is Amy. This is because I just realized I didn't indicate anywhere in the package that the box was for hortiholics anon. If you're in a lot of swaps you might not have known what the box was for!!

• amybabyboy3
    17 years ago

Julie, Thank you I will be excitedly waiting!!!!!!!!! My pal's box went out this morning also. Have a wonderful week everyone! Amy

• bogartbaby
    17 years ago

I have not been able to post for about a week now, due to some construction going on at my house again. All of my floors downstairs have been replaced, and of course the tiles I picked out are not here yet. I will have a few days to get caught up on my e-mailes and everything else. Please don't be alarmed if you don't hear from me for a while, after all I do have to climb over furniture to get to the sliding door that leads outside to the garage door and then into my office. I am no spring chicken anymore! This is driving me insane to have the whole house torn up, but it should all be done by next week.???(so they say)!
    Sguanzon/Sue, your package went out today by UPS, you should have it no later than Friday. You are my new assigned pal! I also forgot to write on the box that it is Hortiholics Anon. September robin. Sorry about that, I'll do better next time.
    Deb, I am glad to hear that all your stuff arrived o.k., it was my pleasure! Let's see....I should be all caught up here for now.Have a great week everybody and I will post again as soon as I can.

• sguanzon
    17 years ago

Thanks, even tho' my pal's not anon. I'm glad to have one! Thanks!

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My package went out today.. USPS #0305 0830 0004 1524 2045.

Deb

• bogartbaby
    17 years ago

I forgot to post the tracking #. I just checked on it and it is en route to Arizona. To check enter- http://theupsstore.com
    Tracking # : 1Z568E850392786025
    Hope it gets there today.

• sguanzon
    17 years ago

Should be delivered Friday....

• amybabyboy3
    17 years ago

Julie, Thank you for my climbing hydrangea. I love hydrangea and was looking at them today at a nursery. I already have it planted up against my shed in the back yard. It will be beautiful. I love my colorful garden flag, perfume and pillsbury cookbook. In fact I am making a recipe out of it tonight and one tomorrow. Thank you AGAIN SO MUCH. I hope your fall weather lasts longer than another week so you can enjoy your gardens. You are such a great pal. Have a wonderful Fall. Take care, Amy

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Amy,

I'm glad you like the hydrangea. I found it underneath mine, it had rooted itself from a branch that was laying on the ground. It's a little yellow because it was very shaded but should green up for you.

Just wanted to make sure you got the seeds, too. I know sometimes they get lost in all that paper!

Julie

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

I am able to post again!!!
    Boy, what a withdrawl you can have...whew!

Isn't KayEmell doing an EXTREMELY WONDEFUL JOB!!!!!
    I KNEW she would do great! So observant, organized, great with people. Thank you ((((Kristen)))).

Things are starting to look up again. I am hoping to be back in the full swing of things beginning October.
    I have missed you all so much.

We had our first frost here last night. Brrrrrrrrrrr
    Too early for that. Trick or Treating is going to be blistery this year for sure. I'm trying to talk my husband into moving to Mexico where the annual average temp is 78 degrees (dreaming, LoL) Wouldn't that be the life!

I'm so pleased that everyone wanted to hold this robin together. Thank you to Debbya, who volunteered to host. I KNOW you would have done GREAT!

Also, thank you (you know who you are :-)) for the great and warming e-mails. I appreciated that so very much.

I am going to try and get my fall bulbs rr back on track and caught up to date tonight.

Again, thank you guys (actually, very sweet ladies!) for hanging in there when your hostess went MIA.
    I think each of you are wonderful.

Hugs,
    Tina (who is sooooo happy to be able to post again!)

• kayemell
    17 years ago

Hellllloooo! Glad your back! Hope things are looking up for you. This certainly was a group effort here; I didn't do nothin' t'all.

Seems like everyone sent and received boxes for September. Am I right? If you did NOT send or receive, please post. I am heading out of town this a.m. and will not have e-mail access until Sunday evening. Withdrawal! Withdrawal! Withdrawal! Tina -- you're so right about that!

Hope everyone is having a happy week...Hey, tomorrow is the first day of Fall!

• amybabyboy3
    17 years ago

Julie, I did get the seeds, I'm sorry I forgot to mention. I can't wait to start them growing. I really wanted the red and green amaranth. Thank you, Amy

• your_secret_pal
    17 years ago

Hello friends,

I created this name so that I could ask a few questions, I would like to know a little more information about my pal without giving away my identity. I figured the best way to do this is to ask them secretly of everyone this way the ansers may help someone else pick for thier pal also. HeHeHe plus now everyone will wonder who I am. HE HE HE If anyone does not want to answer any or all of the questions that is fine too. The first 2 might help us have a roll call and make it a little easier for those that are already found out, the rest are just for idea getting.

Question 1: Do you know who your secret pal is?

2: Who are they?

3. Do you perfer inside or outside plants?

4. Favorite plant? Do you have one?

5. Do you have any hobbies besides gardening? Examples: Computer games/software, video games, reading, writing, drawing, knitting, scrapbooking, cooking, fish, birds, quilting, special collections, etc. Please list here:

6. What are the rooms in your home decorating in?

7. Special themes/collections in any of your rooms?

8. Do you wear jewelry, perfume, nailpolish, etc?

9. Favorite colors/fragrances?

10. If you do crafts, would you like supplies in your boxes?

11. do you want only garden items in your box or anything?

12. If anything please give tons of ideas?

13. Any special friends you would like to recieve for in your box? Example: Children, Parents, Pets, Husbands, etc. Please list along with things they would like.

14.If you read please list Favorite authors, types of books or favorite magazines?

15. Will you accept old magazines or used items, only if in good taste and in good, clean condition?

16. Please list special plants you would like to recieve? Try for at least 10 varieties.

17. Please list special seeds you would like to recieve? Try for at least 10-20 varieties.

18. Please list things you are most interested in recieving? Examples: windchimes, gnomes, teapots, signs, homemade goodies, books/magazines, toys, garden tools, you get the idea.

19. Please list things you definetely do not want to recieve? Examples: allergies, religious reasons, children pets, already have, or just plain don't like. Can be specific items or colors, etc.

20. Do you want Holiday themed packages for the upcoming holidays? Examples: October send Halloween boxes, Novmember--Thanksgiving boxes, December--Christmas gifts/decorations etc. boxes Any ideas for January, please list and of course February would be Valentines, and so on and so forth.

Ok that's it for now hopefully this will help the RR figure out who is still in and who would like what so that we can all send the best boxes possible. Bye for now.

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

WOW! I just love it when someone does things like this!
    Really has my curiosity up.....hmmmmm.....
    I know one thing, I want your secret pal for MY secret pal, LoL.
    GREAT questions!!!!! I'll have to think about all of them.
    Isn't it so fun filling these types of things out!!!!

I have asked KayEmell to be my Co-Hostess in this RR because she is so AWESOME! So everyone cheer her on to continue to help host this RR. We have a wonderful bunch of ladies here, and I would love to see this RR continue for, well, ever! smiles.
    This is year 2!

Going to ponder of the great questions now.
    Tina

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Great idea! Hey "your_secret_pal", don't forget to answer them yourself or we will know who you are for sure ;)

Question 1: Do you know who your secret pal is? I SUSPECT I DO

2: Who are they? I'M NOT TELLING

3. Do you perfer inside or outside plants? OUTSIDE

4. Favorite plant? Do you have one? HMMM... I'M SURE I DO BUT DON'T KNOW THE NAMES BECAUSE THEY ARE THE BESUTIFUL ONES I SEE GROWING IN OTHER PEOPLE'S GARDENS!

5. Do you have any hobbies besides gardening? Examples: Computer games/software, video games, reading, writing, drawing, knitting, scrapbooking, cooking, fish, birds, quilting, special collections, etc. Please list here:
    I LIKE TO KNIT BUT CAN ONLY KNIT SCARVES, LOL. LIKE TO READ WHEN I HAVE TIME- DAVID SEDARIS, DAVID FOSTER WALLACE, AUGUSTEN BURROUGHS, LOVE TO TRAVEL, LIKE MAGAZINES ABOUT TRAVEL (AND GARDENING OF COURSE)

? 7. Special themes/collections in any of your rooms?
    NO
    WHEN I REMEMBER (WHICH IS RARELY)BUT DEFINITELY FOR SPECIAL OCCASIONS

ORANGE(BUT NOT FLOWERS)/PURPLE/WHITE CITRUS SCENTS/CINNAMON/VANILLA

10. If you do crafts, would you like supplies in your boxes? I DONT CRAFT BUT THE KIDS LIKE CRAFTY STUFF

ANYTHING

UMMM, MAYBE RECIPES, FOOD MIXES, KITCHEN ITEMS, DRINK MIXES. DON'T REALLY KNOW, I'M IN THE KITCHEN RIGHT NOW SO THIS IS WHAT I CAME UP WITH ;) ALSO SOAPS, LOTIONS, SLIPPERS?
    13. Any special friends you would like to recieve for in your box? Example: Children, Parents, Pets, Husbands, etc. Please list along with things they would like.
    NO, ALL FOR ME! JUST KIDDING. I HAVE 2 GIRLS AGE 4 AND 6 WHO LIKE PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING AND DH IS A FLYFISHERMAN (WHEN I LET HIM OUT, LOL)

14.If you read please list Favorite authors, types of books or favorite magazines? ALREADY DID, SEE ABOVE - ALSO LIKE COOKING AND FOOD/WINE MAGAZINES

15. Will you accept old magazines or used items, only if in good taste and in good, clean condition? YES

16. Please list special plants you would like to recieve? Try for at least 10 varieties.
    CHECK WANTS LIST, I SEEM TO CHANGE IT ALL THE TIME WHENEVER I SEE SOMETHING NEW

17. Please list special seeds you would like to recieve? Try for at least 10-20 varieties.
    SAME AS #16 (RIGHT NOW #1 MOST WANTED IS CERINTHE MAJOR PURPURESCENS -?SP AND NASTURTIUM 'TIP-TOP VELVET' BECAUSE I HAVE A BEAUTIFUL NASTURTIUM THAT I THINK IS TIP-TOP VELVET GROWING RIGHT NOW AND IT ISN'T MAKING SEEDS- IT WAS FROM THE SEAN CONWAY TARGET COLLECTION AND THEY CALLED IT 'MAHOGANY VELVET')

18. Please list things you are most interested in recieving? Examples: windchimes, gnomes, teapots, signs, homemade goodies, books/magazines, toys, garden tools, you get the idea.
    CAN ALWAYS USE GLOVES, PLANT MARKERS, SEED BAGGIES, FERTILZERS. I LOVE BIRDS SO FEEDERS AND FOOD ARE GOOD. i HAVE A LOT OF BLUE JAYS AND FINCHES, ONE HUMMER THAT I SAW TWICE. ESPECIALLY ON THE LOOKOUT FOR WINDCHIMES THAT MAKE A NICE DEEP SOUND THOUGH THEY'RE HARD TO COME BY.

19. Please list things you definetely do not want to recieve? Examples: allergies, religious reasons, children pets, already have, or just plain don't like. Can be specific items or colors, etc. RED CANNAS, GLADS (NOT GOOD WITH THEM) ORDINARY DAFFS, ANNUAL GERANIUM, IMPATIENTS, MOST MARIGOLDS, ANYTHING ORDINARY AND BORING! DON'T DO SUNFLOWERS ANYMORE, TRIED A BUNCH THIS YEAR AND RABBITS DEMOLISHED EVERY ONE. I LIKE POTS THAT I CAN USE FOR PLANTS I DECIDE TO OVERWINTER INDOORS. I DON'T DO RELIGIOUS STUFF.

20. Do you want Holiday themed packages for the upcoming holidays? Examples: October send Halloween boxes, Novmember--Thanksgiving boxes, December--Christmas gifts/decorations etc. boxes Any ideas for January, please list and of course February would be Valentines, and so on and so forth.
    YES, YES, YES AND YES

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Just to give you all an idea of my gardening OCD I thought I'd tell you that I just filled out a questionnaire for another robin and realized I answered the question "are there any special plants you are looking for?" totally different than I did here an hour ago. This is what I put:

UNUSUAL PERENNIALS HARDY TO ZONE 6, HELEBORES OR OTHER SHOWY SHADE PLANT, ALLIUMS, ANYTHING PURPLE OTHER THAN LIATRIS, DOUBLE AND SPIDER DAYLILIES, SEARCHING FOR A HARDY AGAPANTHUS

Hello,
    My name is Julie and I am a hortiholic...

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

Well Julie, the first step is admitting it! The second step is getting your family to ACCEPT it, LoL.

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I sent my box out already, it should arrive either today or tomorrow. I hope my new Pal enjoys it!

I received my box last night, Thanks so much Pal! I received- a cute fabric chicken on a stick with a log base, scarecrow (to stick in a plant pot), Georgia cookbook, Teddybear book, craft plastic organizer, Teddybear wall hanging, Pandora's box daylilies (I adore daylilies), and some Taster's choice instant coffee samples.

Thanks so much, Pal! I really enjoy your boxes, your always so thoughtful!

Deb

• sguanzon
    17 years ago

It was such great timing yesterday! Just as I pulled in the driveway the UPS truck was pulling up with my enormous box! Now I see why it had to be sent UPS - LOL! Inside were TWO hibiscus bushes, a gorgeous ivy geranium (blooming two different colors on the plant!) and a gaura (one of my favorites - Passionate Blush. I'm really overwhelmed. Thanks so much pal - you packed them well.

• bogartbaby
    17 years ago

Sue, I'm glad you liked it. I also had a nice surprise, as I was waiting for my August box to arrive the mailman delivered a box from Deb instead. Inside was the cutest bird house, candy and blackberry lily seeds(I just love them,can't get enough) and the most adorable halloween set consisting of a kitchen towel, oven mitt and pot holder. Thank you Deb!!! Are you my new Pal???? What happened to my old pal? Is she still in the game? I am so easely confused. Tina/Kristen would you please let me know ? Thanks !

• kayemell
    17 years ago

This is great! Whoever you are -- you are very smart! Here are my answers:

I do now, but I didn't know for the first few months! (I only know because Tina sent me the partner list when I agreed to sub for her as hostess.)

2: Who are they? Sue!!

3. Do you perfer inside or outside plants? Both.

4. Favorite plant? Do you have one? Oh my gosh -- there are so many favorites. I love unusual perennials that are hardy in my zone 5. I am a big fan of anything colorful and ow-growing for the front of my many borders.

5. Do you have any hobbies besides gardening? I am a painter, and I also do a lot of mosaic work.

6. What are the rooms in your home decorating in? Cottage, shabby-chic, junk-style

7. Special themes/collections in any of your rooms? I collect green-blue pottery from the 20s thru the 50s, such as McCoy and Weller. I also collect bark-cloth fabric and tablecloths from the 40s -- pretty anything from the 40s, actually. I love that era.

8. Do you wear jewelry, perfume, nailpolish, etc? Not really -- I'm more of an athletic, outdoors person. Okay -- tomboy.

9. Favorite colors/fragrances? I love deep, jewel-tone colors -- no pastels -- an any natural herbal fragrance, nothing floral or really strong.

10. If you do crafts, would you like supplies in your boxes? Oh yes -- I am a fool for mosaics -- any old chipped dishes, china or figurines make me happy.

11. do you want only garden items in your box or anything? Gardening is great -- but really, I am grateful for anything!

12. If anything please give tons of ideas? Wow -- this is tough. Garden junk -- old chandelier prisms, old chipped pottery for my mosaic projects, unusual old architectural salvage (doorknobs, cabinet pulls, keyhole covers, etc.) -- my husband sums it up, lovingly, by calling it "old crap."

My big old fat labrador retriever, Wally, always loves a bone or chew toy. My big old fat husband, Mark, has everything he needs! ;-)

14.If you read please list Favorite authors, types of books or favorite magazines?

My bookshelves are overflowing with more books than I can count, but I am always looking for old magazines about gardening, garden design, antiquing, junk style, crafting, etc.

15. Will you accept old magazines or used items, only if in good taste and in good, clean condition? Oh my goodness, yes. Everything I own is used!

1. Ajuga Arctic Fox (My #1 dying-to-have plant)
    2. Saxifraga 'Silver Velvet' (My #2 dying-to-have plant)
    3. Delphinium elatum 'Darkness Visible'(My #3 dying-to-have plant)
    4. Lady's slipper
    5. Viola koreana sylettas
    6. Viola mandshurica Fuji Dawn
    7. Hosta - "White Christmas"
    8. Any and all sempervivum (Hens & Chicks)
    9. Caryopteris Summer Sorbet
    10. Brunnera - Looking Glass
    11. Sedum - Stardust
    (I couldn't stop at 10!)

Anything that self-seeds
    Any seeds for green flowered plants
    zinnia envy
    rudbeckia green wizard
    bells of ireland
    Bupleurum griffithii 'Green Gold'
    AMMI visnaga "Green Mist"
    Sunflower 'Jade'
    Any seeds for red flowered plants

antique (translation -- old, rusty) garden tools
    anything home-made or hand-crafted
    anything old and quirky!

19. Please list things you definetely do not want to recieve? Examples: allergies, religious reasons, children pets, already have, or just plain don't like. Can be specific items or colors, etc.

The only item I would prefer not to receive is candy or snacks because I am on a special diet for health reasons. Other than that, I welcome anything! If I can't use it, I have a million friends, family, and neighbors who could.

20. Do you want Holiday themed packages for the upcoming holidays? Examples: October send Halloween boxes, Novmember--Thanksgiving boxes, December--Christmas gifts/decorations etc. boxes

Love it! I am a huge fan of vintage deorations. I have a big collection of Halloween and Christmas decorations from the 40s and 50s which I haul out every year. Any old decorations would be welcomed!

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

KayEmell - Did you get my e-mail?

I love reading your posts. You are very inspiring and ALWAYS put a smile on my face.

Tina

• kayemell
    17 years ago

Okay...if my records are correct (which would be a miracle unto itself!!) it seems as though everyone has sent and received for September.

If anyone has NOT, please post here asap so we can get things straightened out.

Thank you, thank you!

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

2: Who are they?

3. Do you perfer inside or outside plants?
    Oh boy, I think that is a seasonal question. I love all plants equally, LoL.

1. Favorite plant? Do you have one?
      hmmmmmmmmm.......... nope, I have have 4, LoL
      Daylilies with big bold pi-crusted edges, ruffles, picotee edges. Hostas again, big bold thick leaves and great markings/blues, Irises - ALL of them, echinaceas. Oh, (do we HAVE to pick just one, LoL) succulents, scented geraniums, named african violets

crocheting, soap and candle making, scrapbooking, cooking, decorating (LOVE, love, love Tuscany Italy!!!)

Tuscany, Italy. Colors are reds/yellows/greens
    My upstairs bathroom is decorated in a Victorian garden theme. My kitchen is ALL roosters!

7. Special themes/collections in any of your rooms?
    I collect "old world" stuff. Tuscany type items, and roosters.

I don't wear jewelry TOO often, like light or earthy color nail polishes, and love brown sugar or herbal (lavender) body sprays/lotions

Favorite fragrance in the home is somewhar seasonal. During the spring/summer months, I LOVE HAZELNUT CREAM! It reminds me of my dad. I also love lavender/herbaly type scents. In the harvest season, I love the cinnamon/spicy, pumpkin scents. Christmas, I love the apple/cinnamon scent.
    Favorite color(s) - reds/yellows/greens (indoors)
    outdoors/plants - Blooms:lavender, light green, pinks Foliage - variegated is my absolute favorite.

10. If you do crafts, would you like supplies in your boxes?
    yes, yes and yes!

Both! :-)

plants, plants and MORE plants
    bulbs! (tulips, hyacinths, lilies, muscari (not grape), daff's!
    kitchen towels with the seasons theme (holidays) or roosters!
    your favorite recipe
    bath soaps (LOVE handmade!)
    lotions
    bath salts!!!
    Candles!

14 year old daughter who LOVES volleyball
    12 1/2 year old son who LOVES football (Vikings)
    9 year old son who LOVES football (he is a video game freak! as well :-))
    My furbabies "Sissy" my jack russel baby girl
    Duchess my choc. lad baby girl
    my 3 boy kitties Domino all balck with two white dots on his chest, Norman fire point siamese, and Bootsy all grey with 4 white feet
    my two cockateils

I love gardening mags, and decorating mags

15. Will you accept old magazines or used items, only if in good taste and in good, clean condition?
    Absolutely!

1. Variegated hydrangea hardy to Z5
    2. Chocolate scented geranium
    3. variegated brug cutting
    4. "Harliquin" variegated honeysuckle vine
    5. Daylily "Variegated Kwanzo"
    6. Garden phlox variegated "Becky Towe" (or any of the other variegated varieties
    7. succulent "String of Pearls"
    8. Echinacea variegated "Sparkler"
    9. Daylily "Clothed in Glory"
    10. Hosta "Snow Cap"
    11. Siberian Iris "Wine and ???) the pink one or siberian iris white/yellow I couldn't stop at 10 either, LoL
    daylilies, agastaches (I have Honey Bee Blue and Blue Fortune), Jap. Morning Glories (would LOVE the variegated varieties), hostas!!!, yellow blackberry/candy lilies, Sunflower 'Jade', mum " The Hulk", 4 o'clock "Tea Time Rose", and a soft creamy yellowish color variety that the name escapes me at the moment, and a real RED color variety,
    anything that attracts hummingbirds and butterflies

hmmmmm.... homemade goodies, magazines, "old world" things, rooster and tuscan themed things, Chocolate (I love Dove:-))
    Vikings items (the football team), smiles, flavored coffees, teas, candles, soap making supplies would be great
    I can't really think of anything right off hand

Holiday items would be great.
    hmmmm. theme for January, "Cozy Days by the Fire" We could send things like hot cocoa, coffees, teas, candles, magazines, seeds, etc.

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

OK ladie. We aren't getting much traffic here. Are you all taking an early hibernation?

I have posted for new member sign-ups.
    I have also added to the rules a bit to becoming a member of The Hortiholics Anon RR.

All of you will be getting an e-mail from me that will include my phone #. This is incase something happens, and you are not able to send, you can let me know so I can works things out until you are able to join us again.

I am working on some ideas that I have thought of and also received form a couple of you gals to add some FUN! here.
    It seems as if we have lost what sizzle we had.

I will be posting a new thread for October, along with the new ideas, etc.

As KayEmell mentioned earlier, we need a role call here. I want everyone to post if they have received ALL of their boxes, and if they have sent all of their boxes.

I asked KayEmell to be a co-host. SHe has graciously accpeted. This is what I woud like, and this is the reason. KayEmell has a very hectic job and crazy schedule, so, please come to me first. If, for some reason, you can't contact me, contact her. She will know how and what to do.

Be watching for the new thread, and please, please post and let us know about the boxes.

Blessings for a bountiful harvest!
    Tina

• simplylisa
    17 years ago

WooHoo I'm back online. Sorry for being missing in action. My PC is old and she had to go visit the PC doctor again. LOL Looks like I missed a very interesting questionaire. I will have to give this some thought before I send my answers. Looks like it will be fun though.

Boxes? Sent my pal 2 boxes this afternoon. One late box for August and her September one. Again I am so sorry I fell behind but I think I am finally getting back on track. Already have some spooky goodies for her October box and (according to hubby) way to many ideas/plans for her Christmas gift and box or might end up being boxes. LOL If everything goes the way we hope and we are able to sell our property by then I will have plenty of money to spoil her rotten in a few months (hopefully by Christmas). She deserves for being so patient with all my lateness and so forgiving since I am sure my boxes haven't been that great. Plus I happen to know a few things (from a birdie or two) that she has done which shows her wonderful generous spirit. So she definetely deserves some great goodies.

Boxes update? I have not recieved any boxes except for the first month so no I haven't recieved September's box either. I know my orginal pal has been having some very hard times lately so I really wasn't expected any box this month anyway.

Adding Sizzle? Does anyone on here cook? Would you like to share your favorite recipes for Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas? How about family traditions? I would love to hear about them, and I absolutely love to try new recipes. I will go lokk up some of my favorites and post them if anyone is interested.

Hugs,
    Lisa & Kayla

• sguanzon
    17 years ago

I received a box this month. The other month I received a box was early July for the month of June. I have a new pal sending to me now.

• kayemell
    17 years ago

I have both received a (very generous) box and sent a box for September.

Happy day to all!

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I received a box for September, and sent one out too.

• galium
    17 years ago

I'm interested in joining this round robin.

• bogartbaby
    17 years ago

I'm up to date also! Will be working on my Oct. box this weekend. Will post later this afternoon and answer all the questions on the info sheet. O.K.?.... O.K.!

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

I received my box for September PROMPT as always. I sent my box too (not as prompt)

• bogartbaby
    17 years ago

Question 1: Do you know who your secret pal is? Yes

2: Who are they? Deb

3:Do you prefer inside or outside plants? Outside only up to zone 8

4:Favorite plant? Do you have one? All blooming plants, except weeds!

5:Do you have any hobbies besides gardening? Cooking, traveling, cross stitching, decorating and remodeling,reading.

6:What are the rooms in your home decorated in?
    Colors are= Tans, burgundy, greens, dark blues, purple.

7:Special themes or collections in any of your rooms?
    Kitchen is italien themed, Olives and lemons, veggies.

8:Do you wear jewelry, perfume, nail polish etc.?
    Yes, yes and yes.

9:Favorite colors and fragrances?
    All colors, except neon. Fragrance: all, except Rose and Patchouli?(or however you spell that).

10:If you do crafts would you like supplies in your box?
    No, because I never know what I'm going to start next.

11:Do you want only garden items in your box or anything?
    Both.

12:If anything please give tons of ideas?
    Scented candels,plants,seeds,bulbs(no tulips,they don't do well for me) kitchen towels, Napkin rings,napkins,Soaps, bath salts, fizzies, body lotions, cook books,Garden decorations:Frogs, bunnys and other critters. Bird houses, wind chimes,bird feeders.

13:Any special friends you would like to receive for in your box?
    Nope.

14:If you read please list favorite author, types of books or magazines?
    John Grisham(but I already have all his books), also like garden magazines, craft magazines(especially croche and knitting) cook books, your favorite family recipe.

15:Will you accept old magazines or used items, only if in good taste and in good clean codition?
    Yes.

16:Please list special plants you would like to receive. Try for at least 10 varieties.
    1: shredded brugs- variegated brug.(rooted cutting only please, I suck at getting things to root).
    2: variegated Iris
    3:Cone flower" Razzmatazz"
    4:Sempervivum(hen's and chicks) any! Only have the green kind, would like any others.
    5:Black Mondo Grass
    6:Variegated honeysuckle
    7:Variegated Money plant
    8:Crocosmia
    9:Cannas
    10: Daylily- any except ditch- have plenty of those!

17:Please list special seeds you would like to receive, try for at least 10-20?
    Please see want list.

18:Please list things you are most interested in recieving.
    Bulbs, Tubbers, corms, scented candles, garden deco items...Frogs, bunny's and other critters for my garden.

19:Please list items you definetley don't want to receive.
    Food items!!! I'm on a special diet :(

20:Do you want Holiday themed packages for the upcoming Holidays?
    Yes, I love themed packages.

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Just bumping this up 'cuz I was using it to help me decide what to send to my new October pal...