SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anthony_toronto

When to/not to remove flowers, when to/not to remove stems

13 years ago

Had a hot May so plants went in early (May 21, vs. June 5 or 6 last year...after which we got frost). Most are 15 inches to 3 feet or so now. Stems are thick, foliage coming along nicely also. Plants/rows are 4.5 to 5 feet apart. All are indeterminate.

2 questions:

1. It pains me to remove flowers. With this weather I expect plants to grow quickly. How large should a plant be before I should let flowers stay on there? Some have already been pollenized and are starting to grow. Some stems are about as thick as my thumb already. Any rules of thumb/guidlines?

2. I understand that letting the tomato grow without pruning will maximize production. However, I don't feel like storing texas tomato cages/piles of CRW. I use 8-foot stakes and removeable wide plastic pipe ties for support. After all of last year's early rain/mid to late season sun, the plants were massive, and required as many as eight 8-foot bamboo stakes to (in some cases just barely be able to) support them. This year, these thick-stemmed hogs have main stems that have divided into two, three, or four stems, as well as plentiful suckers, and some nice stems coming up from below the soil surface. I would like to optimize production, but would also like to avoid blowing my gardening budget on stakes and ties, and avoid spending 30 minutes a day tying up 500 stems on 30 plants. I would also like production to be as effective as possible, i.e. don't want leaves of some stems to shade leaves of other stems to the point of affecting size/quality of fruit. Is there an ideal limit to the # of stems that I should leave to promote significant production while keeping within 'reasonable' staking limits (whatever that means)? If I have 6 or 7 stems starting within 15 inches of the soil/mulch surface, should I let those do their thing (and remove suckers above), or would it be preferable to let stems grow at varying heights up the height of the plant? Given the number of stems on several of them already, I don't think I can get away with 'no-pruning' (even though that would be my preference...were it not for the excessive work in supporting them), the plants will just get too out of control.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals