SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasmar_gw

getting rid of nuisance vines

Jasmar
18 years ago

Heres the story: Planted a small garden this year off of our patio in what had once been used as a flower bed. Wife and I spent a couple of weekends de-weeding and de-vining this area. We tilled and put in fertilizer and topped off with some good garden soil. We enjoyed fresh vegetables all summer. The only problem was that the vines we thought we had removed kept reappearing all summer. Towards September the vines had clearly won and basically choked the tomatoes. We are not sure if we will plant a full size garden next year or continue with this small garden until other landscaping issues are taken care of. I need some advice on how to get rid of these vines without making the soil unusable for a vegetable garden next year. I have had some success with the liquid vine killer products in other areas of the yard but I am hesitant to use it where I will be growing food that my family will consume. Not sure what kind of vines these are although I have a wall of trumpet vines in another area of my backyard. These things can grow overnight and get two or three feet long in just a couple of days. If I use the liquid vine killer now will the soil be safe by next spring? Any suggestions are more than welcomed. Thanks, Jason

Comment (1)