SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mickeyjane_gw

yes! yes! yes! it's about time!

mickeyjane
15 years ago

This has been the MOST frustrating spring ever! For starters, I started way too many seeds for my situation - baby due on our last typical frost date, but had so many new heirlooms I was dying to try. Also decided to 'quickly' add a 'few rows' to our garden which turned into trying to nearly double it.

Then this weather! We thought spring was never going to get here, and then when it did it was so cold, gloomy, and we just had one tornado watch/warning after another. All of my poor plants were either being stunted and torn apart by wind and cold outside, or getting incredibly leggy and yellow/purple in their pots inside.

On top of that I ended up having an emergency C-section with baby and was in hospital for a week and haven't been able to do too much since - not that I was expecting to be running marathons, but I was just going nuts watching my planting season go by while I was stuck in bed.

But, finally got all of the tomatoes in, even got my son's pizza garden put together with him, and have been just watching these little 4 inch yellow/purple, ragged, wispy seedlings just sitting in the ground, have been ignoring the naysayers who've looked at them and went "if I were you I'd just pull 'em out, suck it up and buy some bigger hybrids at the greenhouse" and have just been fertilizing the snot out of what I've got. Well, in the last two weeks we've gotten nothing but sunshine, and it still didn't look like anything was happening out there, I went out and pruned anything off that was ragged or yellow and was left with some really goofy looking plants with just a couple of leaves. Now, the last two nights we've had some bad storms and quite a bit of rain -

I just went out to check everything and it's all shot up!

I swear I've spent all of my free-time (whom I kidding, I have no actual free time - but I've managed to sneak a half hour or so a few times a day) out there, but suddenly today everything's stem is twice as thick, they've turned a nice dark green and a lot even have blossoms opening!

I may get some tomatoes yet!

If I'd gotten everything in at the normal time, and they were getting blossoms when only this tall, I'd probably pinch them and let the plants grow a bit more - but I think this year I better just let them be if I want to get any maters at all.

I've been watering a lot actually - but I guess a good heavy rain after some sun was just what they needed. Hopefully our sunshine will come back now and keep doing it's job!

Comments (2)