SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anthony_toronto

Experts, how poor is this root development?

anthony_toronto
15 years ago

Just pulled out a plant that was not going to make it (I had one spare plant available to replace it).

Here is history of plant:

- seeded in jiffy peat tray mid march

- once 2 sets of true leaves/3 to 5 inches tall, planted deep in 3-1/2 inch square pot with miracle grow potting soil (probably early April)

- when a bit over a foot tall (12-16 inches), repotted again into 8 or 10 inch pot with miracle grow potting soil

- all watering was done by watering thoroughly, allowing soil to dry out almost completely, then watering thoroughly again, etc. (I was under the impression that this would lead plant to extend roots out to try to find water)

- I did not fertilize seedlings at all (because of MG potting soil)

- plants were in 8/10 inch pot (I have a mix of pots, not sure which this one was in) for 1 month. 3 foot tall plants (yes a bit leggy because not quite enough sun exposure) went in the dirt about a 5 days before I pulled this out. This plant probably sprouted from seed 9 weeks ago or a bit longer.

This root development seems shockingly small compared to prior years, any suggestions on how to properly promote root development (heard from digdirt Dave already on another thread, want to hear more advice, could not find much on the net). Briefly, in prior years I started seed in starter mix, planted up to 3-1/2 inch pots or 4-cell annual pots, planted up again when they were a bit over a foot tall (to 8 inch pots), and gave them 10-52-10 fertilizer every 6 days or so for about 6 weeks total while in 3-1/2 inch and then 8 inch pots (timing of stages was same as this year, plants were 3 feet tall or more just like this year...but I don't think the roots were anywhere near this underdeveloped). I have never hardened off plants but never had any problems until this year (massive sunburn, even though weather conditions were the same every other year I have planted), maybe mainly because of poor root development???

{{gwi:1345907}}

Comments (13)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES