SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dusty_2008

Stunted plants with deformed stalks...

dusty_2008
15 years ago

After 3 years of incredible tomato gardens (plants 8' to 12' tall toppled my cages the 1st year) I have a serious problem this year. Or perhaps I should say "problems". Spider-mites for one, but I'm dealing with those with a polymer product that I read about here and ordered and it should arrive any day now. But I don't think that is my only or worst problem. Even though the accompanying photo (actually the photo is attached to my post on "Tomato Pests & Diseases". This forum would not allow me to post a photo and I noticed some of the recent messages on "Tomato Pests & Diseases" have not been responded to in 3 weeks or more. I don't feel I can wait that long. Sorry for the cross-post.) is admittedly poor quality (but the best I can do without borrowing a better camera) it still shows what I am concerned about. To wit: very stunted plants about 12" to 18" tall (and keep in mind they were transplanted 6 weeks ago) with discolorations and knobby protrusions on the stalk.

I have searched the web for 2 weeks now, but can find nothing remotely resembling this. It appears to be a disease, but what? My wife says "pull-em and replant", but if this is a soil-borne problem I fear new transplants may well suffer the same fate. It seems to me to be imperative to determine what this is b4 going any further!

The only things I have done differently this year are:

1) We burned off a brush pile and I mixed some of the ashes in whenever I prepared the soil for planting.

2) We have a number of pine trees on our property and I had read (here, I think) that pine needles make an excellent mulch and hey, it's free! That's all the different stuff.

FWIW, I put the pine needles on top of 4 or 5 layers of newspaper with a soaker hose underneath as has been my method in years past.

Oh, and another thing - the bottom leaves of some of the plants are turning brown with a lot of small holes in them. My nursery guy says he has seen a lot of spider mites, but has never seen them cause holes in the leaves. And no, we don't have an ant problem.

So to sum this mess up - I have spider mites, holey, brown leaves & stunted plants that look like something out of a Stephen King movie!

I suppose that in my heart I knew that the past 3 years had been almost too good to be true, but I was getting a pretty swelled head about my "Super-Garden" nonetheless. Hello reality check...

Anyway, any help or guidance anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Ray...

Comment (1)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!