SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Tomato leaves turning purple and yellow

2ajsmama
12 years ago

I know purple is P deficiency, but these aren't so much the undersides (well, on the Speckled Romans somewhat), but more the leaf margins (esp. the Brandywines). But I also have yellowing of the lower leaves - esp. on the German Johnsons I just planted the other day.

We have had extremely wet weather, I have acid soil (pH 4.4 before liming with fast-acting pelleted lime and amending this spring, don't know what it is now). I did throw down some more (regular dolomitic) lime from a pile we had out there this AM, about 1 Tbsp per plant, or 1C per 40-ft row (tried to sprinkle between plants and along the row so I don't burn them). Raining again now, but I'm not sure this will do any good since

1) this pile of lime has been sitting out in the weather for years - I did dig down a little but does the Ca leach out?

2) It's not water-activated fast-acting lime (so maybe I don't have to be worried about #1?)

Soil is Medium in P and K, High in Mg (which is why we used the pelleted calcitic stuff 60lb/1000sf this spring), but if the pH is still low the plants can't use what's in the soil. So maybe I need some fertilizer just to give them something readily available? The only N in the soil is from the UCG I mixed into it last month, plus the grass clipping tea I used to water on Sunday - but now we've had over an inch of rain yesterday and more today. Slow-release N would be good, but I don't know about adding more P and K.

I do have some bloodmeal, but have reservations about using it on veggies since it is a slaughterhouse product (Scott's), trying to stay organic, and also we have bears.

Any suggestions?

Comments (14)