SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjsmith_gw

Vines for a wraparound deck

cjsmith
18 years ago

I have a deck that wraps around 3/4 of my house. E,S,W sides. I want to plant a variety of flowering vines around it, so there's a lot of interest, and let it wind through the deck railings all around. The E and S sides have trellising from the deck to the ground (about a 3 ft drop). The W side has about a 10 foot drop with no trellising, so I would probably plant anything in containers on the deck rather than in the ground below on that side. Also, the W side is heavily shaded, the E and S sides are sunnier. So far I have mixed morning glory seeds, cardinal vine, trumpet vine, and sweet pea. I'm thinking annuals mostly, but I might be willing to try perennials too. I dont want to do wisteria, I think it would be too heavy for the railings. Any suggestions would be great.

I'm thinking of adding in moonflower vine, but I've noticed that it seems to be very rare on the seed exchange. Is there a reason for that? Do the seeds survive or do they have to be planted fresh? I'd like to winter sow and spring sow. Is there anything special I need to know about moonflower vine?

Thanks for your help!

--Carolyn

Comments (8)