SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newbiegardener8

Best plants for entry way

newbiegardener8
10 years ago

Hi,

I am looking to find the best plant for the entry way to my house in the DFW area. I need something tall to go on either side of my door. I have tried researching so many plants but nothing seems to be exactly right.

I want something that is going to be around 6ft tall and 2-3 ft wide. I don't mind trimming occasionally to keep the plant at this level but I don't want a high maintenance plant. It has to be an evergreen that can withstand partial shade because I have two large trees in the font yard.

I thought I found my plant with a boxwood but then I found out they smell in the summer?! I saw some really amazing ones trimmed like spiral trees at a garden center near me. Are there any types of boxwoods that don't smell?

I have thought about spruce type spirals but they seem to have disease problems in DFW. I also like the shape and width of the Italian cypress trees but they grow way too tall for my one story house. There was a type of holly that was suggested to me but I really don't like the looks of those. I have looked into tall nandinas but the pictures I have seen of them don't make them look very attractive and they might be too wide for the space I am looking to fill

Is there any plant that would be a good fit for me?

Comments (3)