SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
lmecheverri

best way to ship a pothos plant?

L Evve
2 months ago

I am planning on either shipping by mail or taking it with me in the plane this plant. From Boston to Miami. I have heard shipping plants is not uncommon. And also hear that it should be taken out from the pot and just leave the roots with some soil and wet. Any suggestions on your end to be successful here?

Comments (10)

• L Evve
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Looking for tips on how to pack, what to use, how to protect leaves and stems. How long can it be out before dying? Obviously I can’t take or ship with pot.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 months ago

There are several things to consider. Firstly, are you allowed to import plants into Florida? I don’t know the situation in the US but I believe there are restrictions in some states. Secondly, this is a very common and cheap plant. You might find it easier just to buy a new one in any supermarket when you get there. If you do take it on the plane it must go in carry on or it will freeze in the hold. Just take it out if its ceramic pot, wrap the soil ball in cling film and put the whole thing into a cylinder of some sort such as posh whisky comes in. I definitely wouldn’t bother mailing it. It’s likely to cost more than buying a new one.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    2 months ago

Floral is correct on all counts. Furthermore, you should inquire about the postal regulations which may require an inspection certificate. You can ask your airline carrier about taking the plant with you as you may need some sort of inspection there, too.

Most importantly, this plant is widely available at groceries, big box stores, florists, and garden centers.

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/MA
    2 months ago

If you choose to fly with your plant, you can email TSA if you have specific questions, but plants can be brought in your carry on, though they recommend checking with the airline to assure the plant will fit in either the overhead bin or under the seat. The last time I was flying with a plant (flowering grocery-store tulips) was 2013, and this was the response that I received in regards to a question about bringing them and how to take it through security:

"Passengers may request a physical inspection in lieu of x-ray screening for any plant items, and this request may be granted if the Transportation Security Officer (TSO) can determine that the item does not conceal any prohibited items and a physical search will not damage, contaminate, or desecrate the item. Generally plants can be searched by hand if they are not planted in soil, which cannot be hand searched.

Please be advised that TSOs have the discretion to prohibit a passenger from carrying an item through the screening checkpoint or onboard an aircraft if the item poses a security threat. Therefore, screening personnel make the final decision on whether to permit items into the sterile areas of an airport. In addition, you should contact your aircraft operator to determine if they have any restrictions concerning the carriage of plants aboard their aircraft."

I brought a box with me to send the tulips through the scanner without destroying the flowers; I disposed of the box before getting on the plane. I was flying out of Rochester, though, which can be a bit more relaxed than Logan ... though they're usually okay, so long as your "bags" are properly consolidated/sized.

As for the actual import, the department of agriculture dictates that your plant should be inspected.

https://fdacsdpi.wordpress.com/2021/05/26/moving-with-houseplants/

"For those planning to bring houseplants along on a move to Florida from another state, the first step is to obtain a Certificate of Inspection. This ensures plants have been inspected for pests and disease and are deemed clean for movement out of the state. These certifications and inspections can be obtained from the state of origin’s regulatory agency with authority over plants.

Upon entry into Florida, anyone traveling with their houseplants should stop at an Agricultural Inspection station. These are found along major highways at all relevant, main points of entry for drivers. The employee at the inspection station will ask to see the Certificate of Inspection. They will look it over, check the plants and send travelers on their way. If no Certificate of Inspection is available from the origin state, the driver will be asked to provide an address for follow up inspection or the driver may contact the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Division of Plant Industry directly. In case of the latter, homeowners should contact the FDACS-DPI Helpline and ask for an inspection of their houseplants. Call or email the DPI Helpline at 1 (888) 397-1517or DPIHelpline@FDACS.gov. Generally, when there is no Certification of Inspection, if sufficient information is given, the plants will be allowed entry."

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 months ago

So .... unless it has deep emotional meaning to you, it looks very much as if it isn't worth the hassle and expense. Just buy a new one on arrival.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    2 months ago

Why would you want to take Pothos to Miami, where it is a weed?

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    2 months ago

Haha...Tiffany. Pothos literally grow on trees in Florida.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 months ago

the usual issue with shipping a pot.. is the weight of the pot ... its usually just not worth postage ... same with paying money to ship dirt ... dude.. its everywhere.. no need to ship it to FL ...

next.. i would simply take a few cuttings.. wrap them like a burrito in newspaper ... moisten the paper a bit ... put in a gallon baggie ..... and then take it to the post office.. find a box they sell or will give you ... insert cuttings.. take to window.. pay postage.. and have it sent ...

dont worry about leaf damage.. all yo need it stem and buds... for it to regrow ...

again. its a cost benefit issue.. if you can buy a new plant for a few dollars.. or harvest it from a tree in the backyard .. why spend 10 or 15 bucks shipping it ...

the post office has no sense of humor about a dripping box... they will destroy it.. so make sure its dry and will stay dry ..

it would be best.. if you could send it ahead if someone is there now.. to take delivery.. they could put the cuttings in water for you..

ken

• L Evve
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I know the plant is sold everywhere and cheap. However this one plant has a sentimental value to us and special meaning.

• mojavemaria
    2 months ago

Ok heres what Ive done to ship plants in pots. put wood skewers/chopsticks long enough to drive through soil all the way from the bottom of the plant to the top of whatever box you use. This will keep the pot and plant secure on the bottom of the box.

put bubble wrap around skewers and soil and tape down to sides of pot. This will keep soil in and plant in pot. put in box as close to size of plant and pot as posible and wedge material around pot to hold it in place taping if necesary to side of box. This should hold your plant and pot in place for shipping.