SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Fertilizing after rain?

2ajsmama
10 years ago

Before the past month of incessant rain, the pH of my 2 raised beds where I have tomatoes planted were 6.8 and 7.2, respectively, with Medium Low nitrate (5ppm) in the 7.2 bed but High ammonium (105ppm) there, Very High P (>100ppm) and High K, Ca, and Mg. The 6.8 pH bed had Medium High (12ppm) nitrate, Medium (35 ppm) ammonium, and High P, K, and Ca, Very High Mg. I did dig a little composted manure (pH 5.6, High nitrate and Medium ammonium nitrogen, High P Medium K Low Ca Medium High Mg) into each hole, just a shovelful mixed well with the loamy sand.

Now, I just checked since it appears the rain has stopped, plants in 6.8 pH bed have some dark splotches on the tops of leaves (almost purple), undersides not purple. Of course some lower leaves were yellow and also some edema so I took those off. The top growth looks very dark green/purple.

7.2 pH bed was planted first, with some plants that had been left in 6-packs so as expected the root system was not as developed and those will have to be replaced. But some plants that had been in 3.5-4.5" pots and had a very good root system (not potbound) are showing some "bronzing" of lower leaves with dark green growing tips (these are Grandma Mary's paste tomatoes and foliage is a bit wispy) others (Cosmonaut Volkov) are just the dark splotches on tops of leaves between the veins.

It's not the dark reddish distinct spots of Mg deficiency, not purple undersides of P shortage. Sorry no pix I didn't take the camera out. It's overall bronzing (not light yellow) of lower leaves on some (almost like Mg deficiency but these are in the bed with High Mg) and indistinct purple coloring between veins on others. Some plants(both beds) have somewhat purple stems. Not only has it rained 4 out of the last 5 days here (about 3", waiting to see if they are going to revise the amount from yesterday - it could be more) but it's been low-mid 50's (I believe the high here yesterday was 55, low 52).

I'm wondering if watering in some blood meal after the ground dries out a bit (at least the beds aren't squishy like surrounding ground) might help, or if all these plants have been set back (except for perhaps the ones planted this weekend that missed the first few inches of rain last week including the 2.33" last Friday)? I don't believe they need anything other than N, since pH was so high to begin with and other nutrients aren't as soluble, I think it might just be that they can't take them up due to low N/too much water?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County