SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vance8b

Bird pecked tomatoes

vance8b
16 years ago

I personally feel it's best to compost pecked tomatoes as I worry that the little bird germs might hurt me. I worry that the germs can migrate throughout the interior of the tomato, so I don't want to just cut off the pecked part. It pains me to thow out so many of my tomatoes (over half of them).

Anyone do this? Or not?

Also, in my garden, when I see a tomato turning red, I used to get excited. Now I know that tomatoes turn red for more than one reason. One is that it is just time (the good reason). The even more popular reason is that a bird or worm or whatever has damaged the tomato, so the tomato has given up hope on growing further, so it simply starts to turn red. *sigh* I pull off any damaged/turning red tomatoes and leave them near the plant in the hopes that the birds will pick at those instead of ones on the plant still. I don't know if it discourages the birds from attacking the on-the-vine tomatoes, but they do at least eat all of the tomatoes on the ground.

I have to pick all my tomatoes as soon as I see the first hint of pink/orange/red, as they will be pecked within 24 hours of the first sign of color. Is this a common practice?

Comments (20)