SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yrdling

Identify tomato variety from immature plants

yrdling
15 years ago

I planted my first garden this year. It's an SFG. I'd never done any sort of gardening before, and I was a bit hasty about it. I made some mistakes, and I have a problem.

I have three types of tomatoes that I started from seed in early April. They are Beefsteak, Rutgers, and a grape variety that I've forgotten the name of (yea, I know, that is really dumb, but I somehow lost the seed packet...).

I transplanted the seedlings to my garden when they were about five or six inches high. Now they range from 10 to 16 inches in height. I'm very embarrassed to admit it, but I can't remember which plants are which variety.

Is there a way for me to identify which are the Beefsteak and which are the Rutgers or the grape tomato plants at this stage? I know that the Beefsteak is an indeterminate type and the Rutgers is determinate. I have no clue about the grape tomatoes. I want to start pruning the indeterminate plants and train them to the trellis, but I need to be able to identify which ones they are. I don't want to prune the determinate plants.

I hope some of you can help me, perhaps after you finish laughing at my idiotic bungle. Thanks!

Comments (2)