SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arwmommy

Rediculous Heat here in CA-- Help me help my sad toms!

arwmommy
15 years ago

OK, so I live in a little slightly inland valley just off the coast of central/southern CA, and we usually have beautiful weather. In fact, ridiculously beautiful weather that justifies our just as ridiculous home prices for our county. (That would be about 800k for a 30 year old 3 bedroom house that needs a total remodel. 1.2 million for a newer home on 1/4 acre).....OK that was an off the topic rant.......back to tomatoes...yeah, so usually the high temp in the summers is in the 80's, some hot days in the 90's. Well, holy crap, it was 108 today. 2 miles from my house it was 113. Dude, we don *not* live in Las Vegas or Arizona for this exact reason!

So my tomatoes are struggling. The lower 3/4 of the plants look fine, the soil is dry on the top couple inches, but moist below that (they are in raised beds 12" high, soil dug out under that). We have mulched/composted heavily, which has retained the water, BUT the top 1/4 of the plants are sad! They are falling over, curled leaves, wilted and just pathetic. I don't want to put more water in, as we have had problems in years past with overwatering, and besides, if the plants wanted more water, it is certainly available to them in the moist soil. Today we misted the plants which seemed to help them at least look better for an hour or so, but is there anything else I can/should do???

Any and all ideas welcomed! (FYI- we only use organic methods-- not that you would suggest RoundUp or Miracle Gro to help this specific dilemma, but just thought I would put that out there. Wow, I am loopy tonight, just throwing out randomness onto the web.....)

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022