SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardningscomplicated

telling varieties apart by color, just after they start breaking

I transplanted a lot of my tomatoes into my garden, but I still have a ways to go. I have about 80 different varieties, and I'm trying to arrange them, so I can tell them apart. My 2 main varieties are in separate beds, so I shouldn't have any trouble with those. But I'm planting the rest in small to medium sized blocks, with different variety blocks right next to each other. I don't think I'll have a problem telling apart cherries and non-cherries. Or regular leaf and potato leaf. And there are a few other characteristics I can probably rely on. But one thing I was planning to rely on heavily is color. But that was before I started reading about harvesting just after the color starts changing (I'm posting a link that I'm using). Now I'm wondering if it'll be easy to tell them apart just after they start breaking. Does anyone here have experience with this? Is it easy to tell black from red, just as they start breaking? Or yellow from orange? Or whatever from whatever? I'm not putting pink next to red, since I don't think I could easily tell those apart. I'm keeping track of where I'm planting each variety, but I'm planting them close together, so there'll be some overlap. And I still have no idea how I'm going to be able to tell when the green ones start ripening. Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: stages of tomato ripening

Comments (10)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm