SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcjrogers

Question regarding training vine to pergola

jcjrogers
13 years ago

I have a simple/standard pergola-- 4x4 columns holding up a top with slats going across. There is no lattice. I'm growing a chocolate vine (akebia) and want to know the best way to train so that the vine eventually covers the top. I've spiraled the vine up one of the columns; and the vine has reached the top. However, every time I put the vine over one of the slats, it eventually blows down. I've used "bread ties" to train to the column, but that becomes more problematic as the vine has reached the top.

My thought was to weave the lead vine over-and-under the slats, weaving back across once the end of the pergola is reached. I figured this would spread the vine and would give something for the following vines to cling to-- both over and under the slats. Tying the vine to the slats is somewhat problematic in that I can't climb a ladder. I can get my wife to do, but she isn't overly interested in the upkeep of the vine. Another thought was to tie the end of the lead vine to a small, wound piece of coated wire adding a little weight and friction. As the vine got longer, I would use my pole-tool to push over the next slat with the weight and friction of the wire holding in place. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor