SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kares43

Need help on deciding on vines for wall

kares43
15 years ago

Hi,

I'm in zone 8, Las Vegas and need some help on deciding on what vines to plant on 2 walls that meet in a corner. The back wall area I want to cover is about 12' and the side wall is a little over 8' and the walls meet in the corner. Both walls are about 6' tall and are near a swimming pool. I have Queen palms, a meidterranian palm, cannas, and lantana in front of the walls but want a vine for the wall (it's cinderblock). I keep changing my mind on what I want to plant there. My original plan was Balboa Sunset Trumpet vine, but then I read trumpet vine can be very invasive and since the walls or neighbor walls I was worried about that but I love the color and flower of that vine. Then I saw a beautiful vine at a nusery called Royal Trumpet vine (different species than the Balboa Trupmpet) and loved that too but then I read it is a zone 9 plant so it most likely won't surrvive the winter here. My next thought is to plant Creeping fig and Morning Glory (Ipomoea Acuminata). I know the Creeping Fig will attach itseld to the wall and I thought I would attach wire to the wall for the Morning Glory. The Morning Glory would be covering the Creeping Fig until if dies out in the winter and then I would still have the green from the Creeping Fig. Any thoughts on if this is a good idea or not? If it's a good idea, how do I space the plants. Any other thoughts on vines for that area? Oh, I also already have tangerine crossvine that I just planted on the back wall (just past the 13' wall, I could get more of those but thought it might be better to mix it up a bit. Thank you so much for any input, I really apprciate it as this has keeping me up at night trying to figure out what to plant! Sharon

Comment