SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tomhog_gw

How long do Indeterminates last in SWC?

tomhog
14 years ago

Question: How long does a Indeterminate plant last in a SWC?

I planted a Carmello and a Sweet Baby Girl back in mid March in SWCs. They quickly grew to 5-6ft tall and are loaded with a ton fruit which I am now harvesting.

Now, I noticed a few weeks back that, starting with the cherry tomato, the bottom leaves started to yellow which was after the first few clusters of fruit where ripe and picked. Then my Carmello plant started to get purple leaves, both I assumed where from a lack of nutrients and or old age. I then noticed a week or so later that the blossoms that were last to develop and set, at the top of the plants, started to die and drop. Now ironically the blossom drop happened during the dry spell, before the rainy season switched on here in S. Fla and when the temps here in Palm Beach where hovering in the upper 80's however my yellow plum and black cherry plants that are a lot younger didnt suffer any drop at all.

So are the yellow and purple veined leaves and blossom drop due to old age or is it a lack of nutrients? I used a well balanced fertilizer when I planted and at fruit set and have used a liquid fert every two weeks after, alternating between a soil soak and leaf application, so I thought I was covered in the nutrient department.

Comments (4)