SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greeninthegarden

Vine suggestion needed and almost planted a trumpet!!!!!

greeninthegarden
17 years ago

Hello,

This is my first post on a gardening forum although I've sure picked up a lot of great advice by lurking (ie. NOT to plant a trumpet vine despite the recommendation of our local nursery):) Not sure how much information is needed to figure this out, so I'll include everything.

Our house is on a corner and I am interested in covering (but not destroying) the fence (it's a combination of wood and block wall) that separates our yard from the sidewalk. There are 12 inch cutouts in the concrete next to the sidewalk and in front of our fence about every 3 feet that are irrigated with a drip system. The fence is about 36 feet long and 9 feet high, is in direct sun, and about a half mile from the beach and is subject to some good winds. I plan to plant 2 vines in 2 of the 12 cut-outs with other plants along side. Additionally, the wood boards are not butted right up to one another, and I would prefer a vine that doesn't necessarily poke through the boards sporadically, but rather climbs and comes over the fence.

I'm looking for something that is low maintenance, if there is such a vine. I would really appreciate your suggestions! If you have suggestions for an upright plant to accompany the vines, I'd love to hear those as well. I am thinking Kangaroo Paws and possible one other type as well. Thanks so much!

Teresa

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!