SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
williammorgan

Best way to quickly amend fresh topsoil

williammorgan
10 years ago

Just got 8 cu yards of loam dumped. I'd characterize it as being heavy, a little wet(not dripping)and clumpy at times.

I'm filling a 16x10 foot bed for tomatoes and peppers.

Normally I'd resort to peat moss but since the soil is already a little moist I don't want to add more moisture with planting time in 2-3 weeks.

Home Depot doesn't have any gypsum and I wouldn't dare add sand unless I wanted a new patio.

I've used this stuff before and turned it into nice soil. Time is running out though.

Should I just focus on the planting area? I figured to plant two rows of tomatoes and 1 row of peppers so things can breathe. Yes a lot of work for so few but I want my tomatoes to stretch since I'm not one who believes in pruning. I was going to just dig holes and working cow manure, slow release etc and have them grow in hills and be well king of the hills as they would reside above my neighbor's raised range second floor(which is fine by me). That is approximately 20" high bed without amendments.

I will mulch with straw which will eventually improve the whole bed but should I just avoid too much involvement over all and just stick to the holes where the plants will be?

Comments (22)