SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
instar8

OK Container growers,,,which varieties have done best for you?

instar8
17 years ago

I'm at the point where I'm actively looking for homes for my extra plants, and invariably people ask, 'What tomato can i grow in a pot?'

Well, I've never grown a tomato in a pot, but the knee-jerk response is one of the determinate varieties...but then, you get too many maters all at once, and then they're done. THe only determinates I'm growing are paste types, Heidi, LaRossa, Opalka, Striped Roman(though I could argue determinate staus here), Giant Pepperview. Not your tastiest toms..

The best tomatoes for just plain eatin' are indiscriminate ;~), but many get too big to be practical in pots, I have a BUNCH of extra SAnta F2 plants, never grew them before, but grapes do tend to make a jungle...I have a lot of heirlooms this year that are completely new to me, I could post a list, but they're already over in the 'what are you growing this year?' post.

What's your best suggestions to pass along for a restrained yet productive container tomato? I know there's Patio (ho-hum) and a couple other mass-produced plants that will survive in pots, but they're not that great.

And yes, i did do a search here, and didn't come up with anything I'd want to pass along to relative newbie container growers. I'm looking for YOUR favorite container tomatoes , and how big they got in a pot.

I thank you, and my friends thank you for any revelations!

Lynn

Comments (20)