SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilion

Help - planted trumpet vine - was this a mistake? (long)

lilion
17 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this board, wish I'd have noticed it ages ago! I think I may have wasted my money and really need some assistance.

I have a trellis that edges my patio, about 18 feet long and 8 feet tall. It faces East and West. That is to say, the patio side gets full sun from morning until noon or so. The planting bed, however, is on the yard side, which is shaded by the trellis in the morning and gets only a couple hours of full sun at best before the sun is blocked by the neighboring house to the west.

I've had no luck figuring out what to grow in that bed. I want something that will grow easily and take some abuse, as I'm usually gone for 1 - 2 weeks in June so nothing gets watered.

As a kid I remember my dad complaining about trumpet vine climbing the utility poles and his fences and I thought - That should grow! So I planted four plants this past weekend. Now I'm: #1 Afraid I've planted the Missouri equivalent of Kudzu with flowers and it will eat my house. and #2 Afraid that it won't live because it'll not get enough sun. Damned if it does, damned if it doesn't?

Should I dig this stuff up? (Luckily, I bought it at Wal-Mart, so I only spent $20 on the four plants.) If I should dig it up, what the heck will grow easily, cover the trellis well, withstand the shade and flower? Any comments will be most welcome!

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus