SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loen210

wisteria uproot/transplant in ma now (winter)

loen210
11 years ago

WISTERIA uproot/transplant in MA now (winter)

Hello All,
After a long search all over the net, I found this forum to seem the most helpful and friendly.

I am in need of help with thoughts, recommendations, tips, and basically if this is realistic...

I am in a small suburb of Boston, MA. I have a dear, beloved friend of mine who recently passed away, and sadly, his home in Newton will be demolished, including his tall patio that has very thick vine (looks like brown thick tree branches) climbing all around the top and sides.

I am not a gardener but would LOVE to preserve and save these by having at least some transplanted to my home (about 15 minute drive from his place in Newton). But it is winter now, and within the next month, the house will be handed over.

The wisteria is now more than 30 years old since he planted them, so the roots are likely spread and thick. I heard that I can simply clip off pieces and have them grow from scratch, which is possible, but I long to preserve more of his beloved plant.

1) Is this possible, also since it is late winter right now.
2) Does anybody know who I would need to hire (affordable hopefully!), recommendations (and would it be landscaper or gardener). Any in this area??
3) Would it be safe to replant it as it is winter, or should the vines somehow be kept indoors until the spring?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a picture of part of his patio, though 11 years ago, so even stronger now.

Many Thanks

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting