SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
polyfractal

Nutrient Deficiency?

polyfractal
11 years ago

I think my tomato plant has some sort of nutrient deficiency..but I'm not sure which one. I have a Bonny Best tomato plant in a container, fertilized with 6-18-6 spikes (although it doesn't mention micronutrients, so it may be entirely lacking in anything except the big three). I water pretty much daily since it's very hot here.

Bascally, the older leaves on the plant seem to be just fine while all the young leaves are yellow/yellowing. Most of the yellowing is interveinal chlorosis, although a lot of the leaves also have tip burn around the edges. From what I've read, the nutrient deficiency is in one of the "immobile" nutrients since only the young leaves appear to be infected. Many of the leaves are also curling.

I think it may be one of these:

Iron

Zinc

Calcium

I may also be overwatering, which I've read can make it hard for both iron and calcium to be taken up. I'll lay off the watering and see if that helps too.

Here are some pictures of what the problem looks like. I was having a hard time taking pictures of accurate coloring, it comes out either too yellow or too dark. But it gives a decent idea:

Comparison of young leaves to the older leaves.

Some young leaves with interveinal chlorosis

More young vs. old:

Any ideas?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting