SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

What plants are coming back from drought

I have been watching my garden come alive all winter and into this spring. One person mentioned she would like something to invade her empty beds. I was thinking that there are many of us that are filling dead space or watching it be filled.

we could state what soil you have, did you do a lot of watering during the drought. How much death you experienced. What plants were survivors and what plants died but are reseeding. These are only suggestions. say what you like. I would like to hear what other peoples experience was especially from those who were hit hard.

Last summer , I mentioned on the forum that I had to give up watering totally and see what came back. i also said I second guessed myself every morning but I stuck with it and watched everything turn to dust.

I am on a limestone uplands and I never water because of my water supply (rainwater). I called it dead and hopeless last JUNE. Y'all heard my belly aching.Today is another day and my garden has risen from the ashes. It has been remarkable to watch. Rain tanks are 100% full!

My aloes were survivors (frost cloth during one freeze). All my lavender died but I see a lot of reseeding and growing, Calylophus berlandierri died but HUGE reseeding. Many of my natives died but there is phenomenal reseeding. Winecups, blackfoot daisy,fleabane, 4 nerve daisy, damianita all survived. silverleafed sunflower sprouting (none sprouted last year). I have sprouting larkspur, poppies, standing cypress, kninophia, Salvia regla coming back from the base but I lost the woody 7' plant. All my penstemones exept the Gulf coast penstemon came back strong. Iris are doing great and the compass plant.texas betony, coreopsis, echenacia, desert malow, Artemisia valery finnis. Of course the rain lillies, schoolhouse lillies

Of course all my desert willows, dasylirion, nolinas, hesperaloe, yuccas are thrivers. I see no damage on my evergreen sumac, redbuds. The Yucca faxiana did suffer some tip damage with only 6 inches of moisture in a year. I was a little surprised by that. I had Agave protoamericana that look like they were collapsing but look incredible now. My Agave ovatifolia did not blink, shrink, wrinkle, nothing. A dark green agave not a blink.. Cinizo fine. Alstromeria fine, scutelaria ovata fine but the scutelaria wrightii died ( surprised because I see it coming back on the roadside), Salvia romeriana fine. esperanza fine. Sedom palmerii fine, heteratheca villosa, agave parryii var truncata.

What died was rosemary, one badly sited cross vine, Mexican oregano, Salvia redvelvet (macrophyla) Salvia hotlips, Salvia mexicana, salvia involcrara, Slavia lolly Jackson. Salvia lindheimerii (surprised, it is in the hills), mint, vegetables of course. ghost plant.

This has been a huge lesson in faith and trust in environmental cycles. Not a pretty lesson. A hard one. I think that my not watering things ever made them hardier plants. Maybe I am wrong. Their roots are long roots.

Comments (13)

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

This is interesting... we have a different water source in Carrollton, can water a little more, and I really didn't lose anything, but to me it's interesting in how the natives managed to make it through!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am an extreme gardener in that I garden with the environment and I do very little altering of the environment. Some soil altering. I do go for the wild look.

• Related Discussions

Any idea what plant this large leaf comes from? From Hawaii??

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks bboy (sorry but for some reason I didn't get the response via my email and just found your data). I looked this up but the missing section (and somewhat heart shape rather than just round) makes me think it's something else. I keep looking at water lily leaves to no avail. Someone gave me this thing so I've been curious ever since. Any other ideas? Even other categories to look under? I've googled images for "large tropical leaf" and "water lily leaf," "lotus leaf" etc...
    ...See More

What plants would thrive in 24" containers (deer & drought resistant)

Q

Comments (4)
    Perovskia atriplicifolia (Russian sage) is very similar looking to lavender and it is drought tolerant (I don't know about deer...) It grows taller, 3-5', blooms profusely, it has woody stems. Doesn't like hot, humid summers. I am mentioning it since you like (?) lavender.
    ...See More

Will my drought-withered ferns come back?

Q

Comments (3)
    There is certainly a good chance that they will recover, just keep watering them. They are likely trying to conserve energy in the dryness and will bounce back when your watering and/or rain revives them. Ferns are tough, adaptable plants. Good luck.
    ...See More

Plant A: Zone 5 perennial coming back. Know what it is?

Q

Comments (3)
    Looks like 2 plants,one has leaves growing from a stem and it looks like it's covering an emerging large sedum.Maybe if you propped up the stem it would be easier to identify.
    ...See More
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

The only thing we lost was lawn and some geraniums to heat more than drought. Watered twice weekly because we live on sand.
    My Salvias made it through just fine and even the mexicana is already up far earlier that I can ever remember. We're not too sad about the lawn and plan on expanding gardens, putting in a pond and reducing lawn area substantially. I will really miss those geraniums.

I am really thankful that we are out of the drought here in DFW.

• BedfordDIY
    12 years ago

I lost a large elaegnus, which surprised me as they are very tough plants, a Texas betony, columbines that were not established, some of my pink moss groundcover, and all my azalaes (no surprise there).

My big leaf hydrangeas appeared to have died last summer but are coming back - they must have gone into hibernation during the drought.

My salvia greggis were not impacted by the drought and are looking great. In fact, almost all of my native and naturalized plants are looking better than ever - blackhaw viburnum, oak leaf hydrangea, turk's cap, various grasses, and that shade plant that looks like oats waving in the wind, and much of my shady back yard has become horseherb.

• tx_ag_95
    12 years ago

I'm not as extreme as you are, Wantonmara, but I only watered the yard once or twice a month and the potted plants got by with weekly waterings. I've got the lovely black clay soil that Dallas has, with little of it amended. I did water my rosemary occasionally when I watered the potted plants, it's still getting established and I wanted it to grow. I lost my thyme, lavender, and Mexican oregano, I think to heat and possibly being left out in too much sun for the amount of water that I gave them. I may have lost one of my guaras, but the other one is coming back. The Carefree Beauty rose did just fine.

In the front I tried to put in a row of pincushion flowers that I started from seed and a row of cosmos. One of each survived the summer, the pincushion really took off over the winter. My iris is blooming, the Lady in Red salvias reseeded and didn't die so they may be coming back from the base, too. The cenizo and salvia greggii came through just fine, although the latter has some bare spots that I thought were dead but the wood's still green. The Henry Deuhlberg salvias were so happy that they gave me two volunteers during the summer/fall. The Mystic Spires Blue salvia did fine, although the blue salvias did slow down flower production during the intense heat. The althea that I planted last spring survived without me remembering that I needed to water it (it gets afternoon shade from the house). I'm waiting on the lantanas to start growing again, but they all still had green wood when I cut them back. I did lose the silver ponyfoot, probably not enough water and too much sun.

Most likely, I lost even more grass in the backyard...guess that'll be the next project. :)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It appears that Lavender really needs the wet winter of Mediterranean climates. A dry winter followed by hell is not its cup of tea. Rosemary and oregano too. So does this mean that if we water them during the winter we can get by by not water them in summer? I think that the rosemary and Lavendar were close to 10 years old and were OLD. The younger rosemary has some dead branches but is coming back a, just a lttle ragged. I had death of my older Desert Mallow. Arizona and New Mexico get summer rains, not much but they get releif in the summer. I find that rain patterns are so interesting.

I watered my pots of cactus and succulents once a week and once every 2 weeks also. That watering takes so little, I don't count them.

My Augusta Duelberg is having babies with Henry all over their corner of the yard.

I think that many plants in sand get to water by their roots going to china very easily. Here in the uplands, the valleys that have sand in them stayed green longer and were the first to green up. The plants and trees around streams seemed to suffer more than the plants up high on hills. I guess the roots only go down as far as the water from ythe stream and once that dries up, those plants are stressed whereas the plants on the hills roots are long and adventurous and the plants have learned to make do with less.

• linda_tx8
    12 years ago

I'll just mention a little of what's out on my property...the Damianita survived and is fine, no watering ever. There was some dieback, but all is well, they will recover. Fendler's Bladderpod is coming back nicely...it's more of a West Texas thing, but it's here just west of San Antonio. 4-Nerve Daisy is fine, it's happy. Nerve-Ray survived and is really doing well, not blooming yet, but will soon. Skeleton Plant laughs at drought! Navajo Tea is just fine. Drought-tolerant native plants, all of them. The Barbara's Buttons is in my garden, but it will tolerate a fair amount of drought. I don't often water it.

• Redthistle
    12 years ago

Hi Mara!

I'm in Austin gardening on amended caliche. Surprisingly, most of my stuff made it through. I watered some of my front bed with my washing machine water on a weekly basis, so that helped the roses. I watered my pear trees and persimmon weekly for an hour. Blackberries got watered for 30 min. weekly. Most roses in the back yard were watered every 3 weeks.

I lost a champanel grape vine, a redbud, two 10 y/o antique roses, a flowering quince, a cuphea, two lavenders, a small possumhaw, and a few others I'm not remembering at the moment. One senna almost died.

The salvias, desert willows, pomegranates (sp?), coral vines, crinums, rosemaries, Mexican oreganos, esparanza, Turk's caps, lantana, iris, viburnums, anacacho orchid trees, crape myrtles, and other antique roses all pulled through.

Turk's cap was watered only once through the entire summer. I was impressed.

• bedford8a
    12 years ago

Hey BedfordDIY. I live in Bedford, too off of Cummings and Martin. Where are you? We could swap plants and seeds!

• pelonski
    12 years ago

I live outside of Dallas and did very little watering. I'm on three acres with a creek and underground spring so all the trees including pecans survived although without bearing any nuts. I had a cousin over for a family reunion in September who is a lifetime country boy. He told me that we won't see the effect of the drought for several years. He said in the next few years we'll see trees dying for apparently no reason but he says it can be traced back to the stress from last year's drought. I'm sad to say that I confirmed yesterday that I lost a 30 foot mature black walnut tree in my front lawn area. I fear the drought's effects will be felt for several more years.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was down in the back tank and saw 5 cedars that were dead, probably from spider-mites. Again, these trees were those close to the dry arroyo that has a swampy area on most years. Roots stay shallow, The water disappeared in the stream and they died. The trees farther up the hill is fine. My madrone right by the house looks very sad. I am hoping the growth grows in better.

• beachplant
    12 years ago

we did little supplemental watering for the couple of hours we were allowed 1-2 times per week. Since our soil is pure sand here on the coast it doesn't hold any moisture. Lost a few small things, some stuff in pots and a couple of palms that were not well established and from 1 gallon pots. The yard looked horrid but the majority of it survived. The pecan dropped all it's leaves and produced no fruit but this year is starting to leaf out finally.
    Here's to a summer full of enough rain!
    Tally HO!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That is great to hear. I bet your plants have developed some DEEP roots in your sand. Moisture might have still been there, but really deep down there. Our tees by the broken rock areas stay hydrated longer if they have their roots. I have the most problem in the clay. Once that water has dried up, the roots break in the shrinking clay and they are prone to rot once the rain does come back.