SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tammysf

Thanks Trudi_d (wintersown.org)

tammysf
14 years ago

I just wanted to say a big "Thank You" to trudi_d on here. i always love to read her posts about the different types of OP tomatoes and found out about wintersown.org. What a fantastic organization to share seeds for SASE!!

it is too late for this year, but i hope to plant these seeds next year. Thanks so much for the swiss chard (i can plant these this year) and pumpkin seeds.

Also, i love the instructions on how to save seeds as i hope to save a bunch (stupice, black krim, san marzano) and send some back to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wintersown.org SASE tomato seeds

Comments (11)

• MLcom
    14 years ago

Agree Trudi has a heart of gold here. You will love the ease of winter sowing your plants too, will open up a few doors for you in the seed germanation that may not been avaiable to you before.

ML

• trudi_d
    14 years ago

Hi Tammy,

In zones 9/10 you have an autumn season that is fine for tomatoes. Please use the guide I've linked to below for some tips. I also suggest that contact your local extension service for their growing suggestions.

I will be delighted to share your seeds when they're grown and ready. The Your Choice Tomato SASE list is a great venue for generous tomato gardeners with little time for trading to get their seeds to the public. Currently there are 120 varieties but I do expect (well...know) that it will be far larger by the time next year rolls around. There will be tomato seeds coming in from commercial growers, breeders, tomato hobbyists, and some more USDA accession varieties too. It's a wonderful collective collection ;-) Bless you and thank you for thinking of WinterSown.

And thank you too ML, you're a gem!

T

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Tomatoes in Florida

• tammysf
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Trudi

I am in norcal so not sure if I can plant like in florida. I think we get first frost in october

• jessicavanderhoff
    14 years ago

I second the thank you!! :-)

• missingtheobvious
    14 years ago

Another thank you, Trudi. (I'm the one who sent you the packet of Furry Yellow Hog seeds.)

About a dozen extra plants from your seeds were donated to benefit a scholarship fund, so you have helped with more than just tomatoes!

• trudi_d
    14 years ago

Hi Tammy,

Definitely check with your extension service if you can do a late summer into autumn set of tomatoes, if they do say so I expect they would recommend short-season types that have less than 70 DTM.

=========

You're welcome Jessica!

===============

Missing,

The Furry Hogs are slated for next year's garden, I've got the pack right here. I've grown Garden Peach before, I guess they're similar but maybe with a name like Furry Hog, a lot fuzzier and bigger? I love the name!

T

• trudi_d
    14 years ago

Missing, bless you for sharing your extras for a charity sale. This is a noble and generous act and knowing that you are doing this makes what I do worth the effort. College is getting waaaaay too expensive, I'm happy that you could help out the school's fundraising with your extra tomato plants.

Last Thursday I took 21 tomatoes to my Zonta meeting and they were gone in minutes; it was kinda fun describing all the various tomatoes and their histories. A member who is a retiree and in her 70s got one of the last cups which was 'Absinthe', which came from HipGnosis Seeds; she was quite happy and fascinated by a green-when-ripe tomato as she's never grown or eaten one before.

At the end of the month the tomatoes left over from my own plantings are going to The INN, which is the Interfaith Nutrition Network--they are a set of shelters and food kitchens for the homeless.

Thank you again,

T

• littlecakes
    14 years ago

I too was able to receive tomato seeds from wintersown and just gave away ten extra plants to someone near me who is going to be growing an extra garden row for the hungry. Thanks so much Trudi.
    It was really great to free up space under the lights with trying wintersowing for various veggies and plants!

• maizu
    14 years ago

I just received my seeds today from wintersown. Trudi, you are so generous!!! Thank you so much and I can't wait to send some seed back this fall!

Melissa

• bigdaddyj
    14 years ago

Hi Trudi! I just want to say that my 2 KBX WS'd tomato plants are doing great. SO EASY! Slowly catching up to my indoor started fussed over seedlings. I'm taking comparison pictures every three weeks. Next pics will be next weekend...:)

• trudi_d
    14 years ago

Thank you Melissa, I'll be delighted to share your seeds in the futire ;-)

Go BigDaddy! I started planting out my maters about ten days ago--this can go on for a month here, lol. I've been slow in getting the beds ready, but I've been busy improving soil with grass clippings buried in trenches under the surface. I've already got 40 plants in the ground and probably as many more to go. WS tomatoes are so easy to do--in the beginning it's nerve wracking as you wait for germination; and planting out smaller seedlings is unusual if you're used to indoor-started or purchased transplants, but WS toms have awesome root systems which are really cool. That's a WS pun, hehehe.

One of the GRIN maters I'm doing this year, called ISLEA, sprouted on March 30th--they went into the ground a few days ago with buds, I have a few others that also have buds so this is an exciting season here.

Good luck to all from WinterSown! Vive la FreezeSeed!

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21