SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeffhagen

A Better Canistel

jeffhagen
13 years ago

Lots of folks are familiar with the old 'Bruce' canistel cultivar. It's a big, productive tree that produces huge attractive fruit. However, it does have some drawbacks. If you don't eat it at the proper stage, it tends to be a bit drier than other cultivars. It also has an annoying latex that sticks to the teeth. Lastly, it has an aroma that some find objectionable. I have a huge 25+ year old tree that produces gads of fruit each year, so I've conditioned myself to like it :-). But, what many folks don't realize is that there are other excellent cultivars out there (in addition to the well known Ross).

A couple years back, I spoke to Crafton Clift asking his opinion on the canistel cultivars. At the time I was really excited about the 9681 (now called Trompo). The 9681 that I had tried was good tasting and had little latex. I was surprised when he called it an 'old generation' cultivar and started grumbling about how that cultivar is still being propagated despite the existence of a much better cultivar - the Fairchild #2.

Eventually I tracked down a 'Fairchild #2' tree and acquired some budwood. This is the 2nd season that I've observed the crop of the mother tree, and I have to say that I agree with Mr Clift; the Fairchild #2 is likely the best tasting canistel out there. It has no aroma, no detectable latex, and an exquisite flavor unlike the others. Moreover, it's also highly productive.

One of the issues precluding the Fairchild #2 from attaining the popularity it deserves is likely the conflicting misinformation that's available on the internet. The IFAS canistel document rates the Fairchild #2 as being a poor producer and gives it a "N" (no) recommendation for home planting (along with the Ross sapote). The FSHS article describes the Fairchild #2 as being a vigorous grower which produces a light crop throughout the year (but which is considered one of the best flavored). In diametric contrast to both of these, the fairchild gardens article describes the Fairchild #2 as a compact tree that produces heavily during the same period as the 'Bruce'. The tree that I've witnessed follows the description latter document.

In conclusion, the Fairchild #2 is perhaps the best canistel cultivar grown here in south Florida. However, the incorrect information propagated by FSHS and IFAS seems to have kept it from being a popular cultivar. I don't know if a single nursery that is propagating the Fairchild #2. Crafton Clift had said that he was going to bring budwood to the nurserymen that he knew in order to popularize it, but as of yet I don't know that it's happened.

{{gwi:1336515}}

Jeff

Comments (21)