SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Fantastic info on how to protect your tropicals in the south.

meyermike_1micha
13 years ago

With quite of bit of research, I have come up with some very helpful information that I didn't even know on great ways to protect your plants in places such as Florida..

I hope it helps many of you..

I will be sending a copy to my friends and relatives there..

Here is an excerpt:...................>

"How to Protect Tropical Plants from Freezing Weather � Watering

The first step to protect tropical plants and palm trees from cold weather involves watering. Gardeners should water all landscape plants at least 24 hours before the predicted freeze.

According to the University of Florida website, "Watering landscape plants before a freeze can help protect plants. A well-watered soil will absorb more solar radiation than dry soil and will re-radiate heat during the night." Watering plants can help protect the plant from cold in the short term, but gardeners must remember that long term exposure to moist soil can damage some plants.

Read on

Mulch Your Organic Garden with Falling Leaves

Prepare the Organic Garden for Winter

How to Protect Plants in the Winter

Misting plants during a period of freezing temperatures can also form a protective layer of ice, which insulates the foliage or fruit. This method is often utilized by farmers, who can protect fruits and vegetables by covering them with a layer of ice!

Covering Plants During a Freeze, Mini-Greenhouses and Cold Frames

For small or yo"

http://www.suite101.com/content/how-to-protect-plants-from-cold-weather-frosts-a187765

Good luck everyone..

Mike

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths